Can I thin leather dye?

I have some "dark brown" Fiebings leather dye. LOL. I learned that when they say "dark brown" they mean nearly black. Is it possible to thin this stuff out with something to achieve a lighter brown color?

To answer your question, don't know. I do know that Fiebings Oil dye isn't really oil. However, do have a whole differnet thought for you. Weaver makes a product called Oil Stain Rich Brown, this a pigment product that you mix into neatsfoot oil. You can control the color by the concentration of the oil stain. Most of the world knows I dislike dyeing leather however we use this brown tinted oil often. It works and without the problems of dyeing. Give er a try.

Yes, it is possible to dilute the dye with Alcohol and make it progressively lighter in color. There are probably charts for this to guide you. One such source could be a book, "Coloring Leather" by Al and Ann Stohlman. You also might get some help using your friend, "Google " .

Paul

Denatured alcohol, when I dyed my own I would use 2:1 or 4:1 ratios. Produces some pretty cool colors.

Here's the result of my diluting experiment. I'm pretty happy with the results. Took a lot of diluting to get the brown even this much lighter: this is about 4:1 denatured alcohol and Fiebings "dark brown" dye. The smaller sheath is done with the diluted dye.

2c7c0b543ea838341b79fb161f35a7e9.jpg

Back