can I work 1095 pretty easily???

Aldos out of 1084 right now so i was wondering if i would be able to work 1/4in 1095 with basic equipment

like a hack saw, belt grinder and hand files???

its my first time using anything but 1084

ooo

1/4" anything will be tougher to work. Aldo ususally has all of his steel full-annealed(softened), but 1095 can still be a little difficult to work sometimes. I have used Aldos 1095 many times and haven't had a problem. I would invest in a drill press, and a 4" angle grinder w/ cut-off wheels, if you don't already have them. You can get pretty decent drill presses for under $100.00, and angle grinders for under $40.00 cut-off wheels are less than $3.00 ea.

If you forge it at all it will probably need to be annealed to drill it and bandsaw it. Kelly Cupples has 1080 too for sale and it's very good steel. I use both suppliers (i.e. Aldo and Kelly) and both are great people to do business with.

The 1095 I got from Aldo was easier to work than some mill steel I had or some W2 that I bought from Aldo.

1095 from Aldo is very workable, but HT can be a bit tricky! Cupples 1080 is good all the way around if Aldo is out of 1084.

Have you called aldo to verify hes out, hes nearly out but hes still got some left.

Aldo said he has several dimensions in stock. Have to call to order.

I'd either get it from him. Or Kelly Cupples.

1095 is fine if you have a kiln or forge with heat control, or send out for HT.

Back