Can Nepal Afford to Block Gorkhas from Indian Army?

I'm not keen on the idea of mercenaries, but it is hard to argue that these people are slaves, given how hard they compete for the available openings.

You would think the sharing of professional forces by multiple paying nations would help secure better international relations, and a more stable life for mercenaries and "private contractors" from smaller or less monetarily wealthy countries.

As Wallace was saying, competition can be a good thing. I would tend to believe conscripts and private forces without oversight would be more prone to doing things you don't want done...

gurkhas are not mercenaries. that's insulting. they are recruited into the nation's standing army just like any other country does.

I extend my apologies for any perceived insult.

I used the term mercenary in its common usage, designating a person who serves in a foreign military for hire. Other negative connotations were not intended.

The idea of brave men who kill at the direction of politicians sometimes distresses me. Given sometimes it is a necessary thing. It really makes little difference whether a soldier was born on one side of an arbitrarily drawn border, or the other.

I don't have the source, but I recall reading that, at least at one point, Gorkhas were Nepal's #1 export. In other words, that Gorkhas ended up bringing more money into the country from outside than anything else.

Howard - your last paragraph is along the lines of my thinking. People who serve in armed forces are often in the position of serving the ends of politicians, which do not necessarily align with the soldiers' own best interests --- whether they're serving in the army of their "own" country, or that of another.

I'm all for the Gurkhas continuing to serve. It does appear beneficial to all concerned. IM(not so)HO, the only better use for Gurkhas would be to have them drive the communists from Nepal, as they seem to be part of the problem, not the solution;) Thanks for the article. I enjoy learning about Nepal and it's people, especially the Gurkha. Take care.

Back