Can someone explain "AFCK" and "axis lock" to me?

TheMightyGoat

Attention whore & liar
BANNED
I know they are used and probably paitented by Benchmade, but that's about it. What are they, and how does the lock function?

http://www.equipped.com/axis.htm

check that out for an explanation of the AXIS lock as well as check out the Benchmade main site and click on "locking mechanisms"

the AFCK is the name referring to the 806 currently in D2 steel. There is also a smaller version with a liner lock and 154CM called the mini AFCK.

It stands for Advanced Folding Combat Knife although for obvious reasons "combat" was changed to "camping" I think...

The knife design was developed by Chris Caracci who modeled it after the Spyderco Police. He originally pitched it to Sal but Spyderco passed up on it b/c they had many new knives in development anyways and Benchmade needed something to expand from it's Balisong roots. SO they did the knife. It was originally a liner lock and available in M2 at some point. The AXIS got added later and the steel changed to D2. Now it also has phosphor bronze washers and tip down option.

Hope that helped.

Originally posted by TheMightyGoat
It did, thank you. My only remaining concern is that I may have asked a dumb question. :rolleyes:

No such thing. The sharing of information is what this place is all about. :)

I've read three different acronyms for AFCK. 1)Advanced folding combat knife. 2) Advanced folding camp knife. 3) Armed forces combat knife. I prefer #1 myself.

I dunno but the AFCK seems out of place in a camping scenario...especially when it was designed by a guy who looks like more of a mercenary than a camper :D

Yeah he has like a bunch of videos on combat related stuff...

I took my BM806D2 "Advanced Folding Camping Knife" camping last weekend. I'm not a tactical/self defense guy and have no training on grips, etc. That said, with my thumb on the obvious place with the serrations on/near the spine I could whack off green alder limbs as big as my little finger with one swipe. I could cut through larger limbs with a few strokes and I actually used it to chop off a 1 1/2 pole in no time. I was just playing around seeing what the knife would do. It took everything and stayed tight and sharp. It's not a fixed blade, but it's a damned tough folder.

All that said, when I go backpacking, I usually just take my Vic. Outrider . . .

Good post and good info.
But made me remember that neither my 800 AFCK or 710 AXIS (both coated M2 steel) have been used for a couple years. They were the 2cnd & 3rd knives I bought. Passed over as EDC's for newer knives.
Although definatley showing signs of wear, they are both still sharp, strong, & no blade play. Forgot what great knives they both are till this thread. :cool:
So they are back out again, and will play with them for a while.
Tks for the reminder.
Rad

rad148

do you remember what year your AFCK was from? I asked on the BM Forum but nobody answered my question on when the D2 got phased in to replace the M2 and when the 710 was first offered in M2...

curious2003
Errrgh:confused: Mid 2000?, late 99, late 2000? Without a doubt was year 2000 (im pretty sure).
Good topic for a thread..."Can you remember when you bought your second knife?":)
I'm too old for this. Im lucky if I remember to shave in the morning.
Rad

Originally posted by Wunderbar
I've read three different acronyms for AFCK. 1)Advanced folding combat knife. 2) Advanced folding camp knife. 3) Armed forces combat knife. I prefer #1 myself.

same here, that's the one i knew of

aXed

Originally posted by curious2003
I dunno but the AFCK seems out of place in a camping scenario...especially when it was designed by a guy who looks like more of a mercenary than a camper :D

Yeah he has like a bunch of videos on combat related stuff...

As well he should. Caracci is a former Navy SEAL, has worked at Gunsite,American Tomahawk, and has trained people in self defense all over the world. He has designed quite a few knives. He's been to the NY Show a few times and was a pleasure to meet and talk to.

Originally posted by Wunderbar
TSEK= Tactical Safety Equipment Knife.:p

...which I still do not know quite what that means, and I own one! It is a dang good knife, especially given the price, but the full name is a bit wierd ;)

Back