Can someone sketch this up for me?

I'm getting some quotes on a small run of knife blanks. Just a chef knife with 9" edge. Christmas is coming up for friends and family!

Anyone care to transfer this image to a .dxt ( .dxf?) file or something I can send over for quotes?

Thanks much. Or a free resource I could use to do it myself would work.

Thanks!

k1sVXeM.jpg

Last edited:
TANG HOLES - holes should be at least 1/8" from the edge and 1/8" from other holes .It's better to have a few large holes than many small holes. Balance is the important consideration for the holes.

That’s what I do, I drill 1/2” holes at .625 on center. Balance is a very important aspect that is often overlooked. At blade west the highest compliment I got from most everyone that picked up my bigger knives. “Oh wow this is lighter then I thought”
TANG HOLES - holes should be at least 1/8" from the edge and 1/8" from other holes .It's better to have a few large holes than many small holes. Balance is the important consideration for the holes.

It's better to have a few large holes than many small holes.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but can you or will you please elaborate on this statement. I fully understand the balance issue, but I'm really interested in the "few large holes vs many small holes" discussion.

mgray, You could do it with math .A similar question is asked with a pile of firewood but that too will show a fewer large pieces is better than many small ones. It's all about efficient use of space

Mete,
Ok, I understand that for balance. Can you explain how the hole size in the handle can effect the strength of the steel in the handle, say against lateral force? I would think one large hole would weaken the handle more than multiple holes?

The maximum density of packing of circles of one size (hexagonal packing) is independent of the radius of the circles.
Even higher densities can be achieved with multiple unequal circles.
This doesn't consider strength that is crucial for knife design.

Here is a quick sketch I did. Let me know if it looks right and what the hole diameters are and I will convert it to a dxf for you. Also, are the small holes supposed to be evenly spaced?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yw7cAUETCJm-RnfyqHstl9DlQBdlNmj-/view?usp=sharing
Also, I used Coreldraw to do the sketch and if anyone would like to see how I did it, take a look at this video.

open

That looks great! Thanks for the Coreldraw reference too. Only the small holes are for pins so yes evenly spaced and centered from top to bottom. In reality they are pretty evenly spaced but I see that the middle one from the pic should be moved back a bit. Thanks!

I just randomly drilled the larger holes for weight reduction and balance. This is a prototype in 52100 just to see how I liked using it. I have a chef friend as well who is going to use it on the job and give me feedback.

Here is the "tester" finished, so the front pin would be nice to be centered on the bolster. I lightly clayed the spine for some wackiness. Birdseye maple from my grandfather for the scales.

rx9JBPn.jpg

Last edited:
I still need the hole diameters. I'm guessing you're using 1/8" pins and the larger holes are 3/8", is this right?

Yes sir I use 1/8 pins for the small ones. The larger holes I used an F bit so right around 1/4. Maybe 3/8ths is better after reading some of the posts in the thread here.

Okay, below is a link to a dxf file. I made the pin holes 1/8" and the larger holes 1/4". I did move the center pin hole to line up with the center of the arc of the belly of the handle. The pin holes are not perfectly spaced, but with you putting the front pin in the center of the bolster, I think it works. Also, if you want to view the file or make any changes you can download a program called QCAD. It's free CAD sofware very similar to AutoCAD.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dLsVdOjUbw_PDiikDMgAC_H8CHbyJWFS

Once Google Drive opens, you will have to click the down arrow in the upper right corner to download the file to your computer.

Hope this helps!
Chuck

M Maelstrom78 - This is probably too late but for future info. Go to Knife Exchange section then go to Knifemakers Market. Then go to The Custom Shop: Services Offered. Daryl Belnap has an ad for drawings - DFX and PDF for a very reasonable price - about $20 per knife. I had him do dwgs. for 25 knives and I was very happy with his work.

M Maelstrom78 - This is probably too late but for future info. Go to Knife Exchange section then go to Knifemakers Market. Then go to The Custom Shop: Services Offered. Daryl Belnap has an ad for drawings - DFX and PDF for a very reasonable price - about $20 per knife. I had him do dwgs. for 25 knives and I was very happy with his work.

Ok thanks for the info

Back