Can stabilized scales be planed?

Hello everyone. I'm just getting into making my own handles and have recently searched for and purchased a few sets of stabilized spalted maple, sycamore and ash scales. I found it impossible to find these in 1/4" thicknesses which is where I would like them to be. Most common were 3/8" or 5/16", both of which are quite a bit to thick for my application. I feel it will be very difficult to sand these down evenly with the tools I have available since I don't have a multi thousand dollar sanding setup (YET :). So my primary question is can I run these scales through a small planer? If not, what advise do you have for me. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first thought is the snipe that you'd end up with on either end greatly reducing the length of available flat material. Other than that, I haven't tried, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. A thickness sander would be a much better bet, I use one for almost every set of scales I use, stabilized or not. No snipe!

-Peter

i think on small scales a planner might have problems i knwo i use a fly cutter on all of my scales to make then the right size and dead flat. i think most makers woudl epoxy the scales and then sand them to size on the grinder

Provided it wont hurt the planerblades, you might try hot gluing the scale to a wood board whats suitable size to run thru the machine.
I do this alot to safely run small or odd shapes thru power saws & joiners.

Like Lieblad said I would suggest a side clamping jig or hot glue on a long board and then run through the planer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my main worry with planning is might have grain tearout even tho it is stablized and any vibration coudl cause chatter

Just try it. Use a jointer instead if you have one. If not, double sided sticky tape it down and run it through. It will be fine.

I'd buy the 5/16 and just pin/glue as normal, then take down to the thickness you want when you shape and profile. Otherwise, you could probably plane them. Use a good double stick tape to a long board. put a sacrificial strip at or above the height of the scales for the feed rollers to grab, and then take light passes until you get close. A light sanding should take out any chatter, though a decent planer shouldn't have a whole lot of issue.

Back