Can the new CTS-XHP American Lawman Blade be put on an old handle?

Just like the title says folks, has anyone tried to put the new CTS-XHP blade on an older AUS8a American Lawman? The Lawman was one of my top 10 folding knives of all time, I just always wished they updated the steel. I bought the new CTS-XHP the day they were released on Cold Steel. I was shocked to see how much thinner the handles are on the new version and it just was not for me. It got me wondering if anybody has tried doing this.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I completely agree with you about the thinner handles; I'm really disappointed.

I compared the blades to both of mine before i got rid of my xhp lawman (for the same reason as you describe) and they looked identical. I don't think you'd have an issue swapping the blades. But in all honestly it's not something that you can just eyeball and be sure of so I wouldn't guarantee it just yet. Maybe give it a shot and let us know?

i have been carrying my new xhp lawman for a while and is used to the thinness, to the point that it no longer feel uncomfortable for me. however when i picked up my old lawman again i was instantly reminded of how much more comfortable the thicker G-10 is, and the reason why im using the new lawman less... :(

American Lawman used to be my favorite knife, and it fell out of favor for this reason. To be honest, i now prefer the ultimate hunter more simply because it has thicker handle.

I wonder why they went with a thinner handle? One the Mini Recon 1 I can understand it. But the AL?

Imho the best move wouldve been to keep the same handle thickness as the old lawman, but change the texturing to the smoother style the new version has. That coupled with an xhp blade would've been sweet.

Are you talking about the older ones with steel liners and G-10

I love the thinner handle, for me they just carry so much better. I carry in my back pocket

Imho the best move wouldve been to keep the same handle thickness as the old lawman, but change the texturing to the smoother style the new version has. That coupled with an xhp blade would've been sweet.

Amen to that.

@razorburn - no, he meant the full g-10 version that came out around 2010, not the older one with steel liner. all pre 2015 lawman has the same handle thickness regardless of the steel liners.

@Tommythewho - i carry all my knives in my the back pocket too. The little difference in the thickness doesn't actually make much difference in the "butt" feel to be honest. But your hands are more sensitive to the thickness changes. BTW im 5-9 170 lb so you can't argue that my butt is too fat to feel the difference :cool: In fact carrying a big wide knife like ZT0300/0350 maybe more comfortable regardless of the thickness, vs something that has tiny surface area like minis.

I also like the thinner handle. I now carry my XHP Lawman, whereas my old one sits in my emergency pack.

I love the thinner handle. It carries in my uniform pants much better and the new texture doesn't shred the pants! Which is a must with expensive uniform pants.

I just did the swap today, and I love the hand-feel of the old thicker, rougher G10 handle; with the CTS XHP DLC blade, its just awesome. Although the AUS8A blade doesn't work on the new thinner handles. Maybe have to file down the lockbar a little?

I just did the swap today, and I love the hand-feel of the old thicker, rougher G10 handle; with the CTS XHP DLC blade, its just awesome. Although the AUS8A blade doesn't work on the new thinner handles. Maybe have to file down the lockbar a little?

Pics please!!!!!

Why not just swap the g-10 handle? Leave the original lock and backspacer with the blade it came with.

Why not just swap the g-10 handle? Leave the original lock and backspacer with the blade it came with.

No you can't. They've made some slight adjustment on the lock pivot placement so the new lockbar will not fit the old G10 scale.

Although the AUS8A blade doesn't work on the new thinner handles. Maybe have to file down the lockbar a little?

That's interesting. When I did my blade swap with the old and new versions of the Lawman, I ended up with two perfectly functioning knives. Manufacturing tolerances perhaps.

Back