Can you make g10 smooth like micarta?

I got a spyderco dkpk (same as ukpk but two hand opening) and dont realy like the rough texture of the g10 since its a slipjoint it isnt realy a work-knife and wont get slippery, neither do I need a excellent grip on it so I wont loose hold of it in a utmost tactical combat situation.
So I was wondering if you with fine grit sandpaper can smooth g10 out and polish it so it is slick like linen micarta?

Yes. It can get smooth as glass. Finish it with some soft metal polish after the finest grit sandpaper.

You can do it, but I wouldn't want to. I'd be concerned about the dust - could be toxic. If you decide to sand the G10, I'd be sure to wear a respirator and collect all the dust.

If you wet sand it, the dust won't be an issue. I've sanded G10 plenty of times, and I'm still kickin'! :)

Smooth G10

Bushcraft1.jpg

Bushcraft4.jpg

If you like the DKPK smooth I will also suggest the CF UKPK.

It has ultra polished CF scales. They're really slick.

UKPKCF.jpg

thanks for the replies everyone. Good to know that the dust is poisonous, i wouldnt have thought of that. Going to do it outside with respirator on (I use any excuse i can to wear a respirator anyway)
The variation on the colour of the spyderco bushcraft - black gray black gray.
I know its done by recessing some places to show the layers but would the dkpk show up like this, or is the g10 on the bushcraft made in different coloured layers to get the effect on purpose?

I realy like that ukpk in CF but sadly you cant have one handed openers in denmark :/

I snort g-10 dust all the time just for the fun of it.

Ha ha, very funny.:grumpy:

Just about guaranteed, anyone who does this will be dead in the next five to ten years.

This is no joking matter, small fibers from sanding materials like fiberglass do the same thing to your lungs as asbestos.

Yup you sure can. I polished these myself:

Polished Spyderco Persistence:
Polished-Persistence-007.jpg

Polished-Persistence-013.jpg

Polished Kershaw Skyline:
Polished-Skyline-021.jpg

Polished-Skyline-022.jpg

Polished-Skyline-024.jpg

The two original Kershaw assisted opening knives, the Random Task knife and the Ricochet both had polished G-10 handles.

thanks for the replies everyone. Good to know that the dust is poisonous, i wouldnt have thought of that. Going to do it outside with respirator on (I use any excuse i can to wear a respirator anyway)
The variation on the colour of the spyderco bushcraft - black gray black gray.
I know its done by recessing some places to show the layers but would the dkpk show up like this, or is the g10 on the bushcraft made in different coloured layers to get the effect on purpose?

I realy like that ukpk in CF but sadly you cant have one handed openers in denmark :/
You could sand and polish under water. There would be no chance of dust this way.

Back