Can you tell me about this sword !? TOLEDO

Hello Boris,

I'm afraid what you have there is what is often referred to as a decorative sword like object. This item is vaguely sword shaped in that it has a blade, a grip, a pommel and a cross. Having said that it bares no resemblance to an actual sword beyond those characteristics. The blade geometry is completely wrong for an actual sword, the etching is of indifferent quality and machine done. The cross and pommel are crude and far outside anything even reproducing a historical norm. If I were to bet I would say that the balance and weight are also completely wrong.

This one is interesting, it looks to me like someone took a decorative sword blade from marto or similar and built a home made pommel and cross to go with it. They had some skill in metal fabrication but no knowledge of swords.

Value for such a thing would be nominal at best, honestly it's not even terribly attractive so even its decorative value is questionable.

Having seen many weapon displays in museums I cannot say I've ever seen anything like it. I'm not sure why the guard is made like that. All I can think of is maybe they stuck it in the ground and hung something from it or put candles in the loops at medieval costume fairs. It's certainly not a real weapon.

Having seen many weapon displays in museums I cannot say I've ever seen anything like it. I'm not sure why the guard is made like that. All I can think of is maybe they stuck it in the ground and hung something from it or put candles in the loops at medieval costume fairs. It's certainly not a real weapon.

Nice thought! I was perplexed by that strange cross, but I wonder if you have not hit upon the explanation.

Similar, but that blade has a fuller, and the corners of the square pommel are rounded off. Whereas the one in the OP has a flat blade and the square pommel has sharp corners.

The previous post from horseclover was tongue in cheek, hence the A-10 reference....:thumbsup:

df7ad988935ce9d1cfc06bdd93870105.jpg
Similar, but that blade has a fuller, and the corners of the square pommel are rounded off. Whereas the one in the OP has a flat blade and the square pommel has sharp corners.

Simply the difference between an obvious decorator and a reproduction better drawn from reality.

To infinity and beyond

Back