Can you use a Leather Strop to sharpen ??

I think the main blade on my LM Charge needs touching up - could I use a leather strop to get it to a razor sharp edge ???

Or do I need any special (hopefully not expensive!) tools ?

Would some of the Pocket Sharpeners you can get like the Gerber do a good job ..... or would they cause serious damage !!

Don't go near those pocket sharpeners.
You need stones for real sharpening, be it freehand or on a system (Spyderco Sharpmaker!). Stropping is a finishing touch.

I went down the road your thinking of taking , i have the same gerber sharpener , dont do it ! i spent ages on it and done more damage than good , lucky for me the charge wasnt very old and had lots of play in the pliers so i took it back to the shop and got a new one . So i started all over again but this time i got a lansky ( A sharp maker is another very good choice but i dont have one of them ) .The lansky is great but you do need to spend quite a bit of time on it to get the 154cm blade sharp due to it being harder than 440 , it is time well worth spent .Very sharp on 20 degrees :D
Im now needing to sharpen the serated blade , has anyone got advice as i tried the gerber sharpener and kind of messed it up (you have to look through a magnifyer to see ).Has any of you used a lansky serrated sharpening stone on a charge with good results if so i will get one.
A good tip with the lansky is to use a felt marker pen on the edge so you can see where you are sharpening.

Duncan

Pocket sharpeners are no good. Just buy a good old fashoned whetstone. I tried a lot of different sharpeners but I've found that a practiced (and I had to practice) steady hand on a whetstone was the best.

I've convexed all of my knives with the mouse pad and sandpaper method. i've also find that i can get a razor sharp edge with a butcher's steel and an old leather belt.

Perfectionist said:
I was thinking of maybe this one .....

http://www.gerbergear.com/products/view.php?model=9841

Is it a bad idea ??

Seems a lot of money to buy a Shrapmaker just for the blade on my Charge !

Oh, that one. Well, afaik, this one should be good if you know how to use it. But it's a diamond sharpener, it won't get a knife scary sharp.
And the Sharpmaker is a good investment, don't tell me you don't have any kitchen knives ? And you can do favors to your friends as well ;) .

On serrated blades, use the Sharpmaker. Dunno if the Lansky systems are as good.

Back