Canada Customs and Axis Locks!

I thought I would order a couple Axis Lock style knives to try out. I tried to have them shipped to me in Canada and quickly found out that Customs does not think too highly of the Axis Lock! I received a notice of Detention, stating my item has been sent for further review. I thought I was pretty clear on Canada's knife laws, it must be a ''Gravity Knife'' issue caused by the blade swinging out freely if the Axis lock is depressed. I don't want to aggravate anyone that lost a pricey knife or two, but has anyone had Axis Lock knives seized by Canada Customs?:confused:

When u get 2nd notice, arrange to have it sent back to sender and hopefully you will get refund.
It seems that nowadays Canada customs are picking on all folding knives no matter what mechanism. Pretty bad

I don't get it. You can find and buy any Axis lock knife in any Cabela's or Wholesale Sports or any canadian online knife retailer?!
Overzealous custom officers maybe?

This is typical behavior; the really lean on individual imports vs. a large wholesaler.

That's not to say they won't mess with the big spots too. If the mood takes them they'll go after the big folks too.

The G.E.C Beer Scout is a slip joint though?! Those guys must have been using it to open lots of Fighting Pops on their lunch breaks! It seems like they are cracking down on flippers, assisted and axis lock knives.

I guess I am supposed to call customs for further information after June 17th. Luckily it's not a Benchmade Osborne or something super expensive, but I am still bummed out. It's a kick in the head that they have seized a type of knife you can buy at hundreds of Canadian shops. I smell a shifty deal.

The kept my new Beer Scout for a week.
The G.E.C Beer Scout is a slip joint though?! Those guys must have been using it to open lots of Fighting Pops on their lunch breaks! It seems like they are cracking down on flippers, assisted and axis lock knives.

When u get 2nd notice, arrange to have it sent back to sender and hopefully you will get refund.
It seems that nowadays Canada customs are picking on all folding knives no matter what mechanism. Pretty bad

I guess I am supposed to call customs for further information after June 17th. Luckily it's not a Benchmade Osborne or something super expensive, but I am still bummed out. It's a kick in the head that they have seized a type of knife you can buy at hundreds of Canadian shops. I smell a shifty deal.

I don't get it. You can find and buy any Axis lock knife in any Cabela's or Wholesale Sports or any canadian online knife retailer?!
Overzealous custom officers maybe?
I think that might be the case. I did a little searching and found quite a few people in the same Customs situation and they all seem to be flippers, assisted and Axis lock knives. Apparently they check out Spydercos and Benchmades very closely. I'm glad they didn't snag one of those from me!

Tip: Buy your BMs on Amazon.ca. No import, and if you don't like it just return it.
Thanks for the tip! I really thought I knew what they consider a prohibited knife in Canada. I think they are after anything that opens one handed. They can just tweek the law and say ''That's a gravity knife'' if they don't like the look of it or it opens too easy. I don't think I will ever see the thing, not much hope dealing with Customs.

We were shipping free to Canada on all orders over $150 up until last month. Last month we had 5 different folders stopped by customs and shipped back. I have no idea what changed or why but we had to immediately stop shipping to Canada as the company was loosing money on it. We ended up fully refunding 4 out of 5, losing shipping cost, and the 5th was a Hinderer that we took apart and shipped in 2 different boxes, so we lost money in the end on that one as well. I hate this and hope Canada will change their laws back. We have a lot of great clients North of the boarder who are not happy. We are not happy either as this hurts us a good bit too!

Unfortunately I have not had time with Blade Show coming and going to look in to it further. If anyone can tell us when this changed and why it would be greatly appreciated.

We were shipping free to Canada on all orders over $150 up until last month. Last month we had 5 different folders stopped by customs and shipped back. I have no idea what changed or why but we had to immediately stop shipping to Canada as the company was loosing money on it. We ended up fully refunding 4 out of 5, losing shipping cost, and the 5th was a Hinderer that we took apart and shipped in 2 different boxes, so we lost money in the end on that one as well. I hate this and hope Canada will change their laws back. We have a lot of great clients North of the boarder who are not happy. We are not happy either as this hurts us a good bit too!

Unfortunately I have not had time with Blade Show coming and going to look in to it further. If anyone can tell us when this changed and why it would be greatly appreciated.

Edited to note that this past month was the first time we have had problem with Canada Customs in 5 years of business!

I think that might be the case. I did a little searching and found quite a few people in the same Customs situation and they all seem to be flippers, assisted and Axis lock knives. Apparently they check out Spydercos and Benchmades very closely. I'm glad they didn't snag one of those from me!

Amazon.ca ships FROM Canada, as long as you buy FROM Amazon.ca. BUT... Some offers on Amazona are from US dealers, then you may end up with same troubles. To be sure, check if item “ Ships from and sold by Amazon.ca" and “Amazon prime eligible”.

Thanks for the input whitty. Importing an axis lock knife didn't worry me at all, then I got the Notice of Detention! I could see it happening with a spring assist knife but they seem to be on the lookout for flippers, assisted or knives that can be flung out with centrifugal force. So many knives being sold that would fail their new tests! I would really like to know what changes they made to the knife laws.

Edited to note that this past month was the first time we have had problem with Canada Customs in 5 years of business!

I'm really sorry to hear that. The notice I received asks me to call them anyway, I will politely ask Customs if changes have been made to the existing knife laws and assure them I did not know an Axis lock was a questionable knife to purchase!

The law has not changed.

The folks at the border are making calls that don't jive with precedent.

Yep; but then the grand poo-bah of Cali was trying to get a SAK renamed as a dagger/dirk.

Moving the goalposts.

The law has not changed.

The folks at the border are making calls that don't jive with precedent.
Do you think they will send me my knife if I tell them I am only going to use it to peel apples for orphaned children at the institute for the blind?:p

Back