• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Canadian retailer Hero Outdoors

Just a heads up to anyone north of the border.
I ordered a couple of machetes from hero outdoors, they sent a confirmation email, charged my credit card, then just stopped replying to my emails/phone calls.
It was about 10 days after my order and I still hadn’t received a shipping notice, so I tried to contact them.
I emailed and phoned for 5 days with no reply.
I looked at some online reviews of their site (something I should have done before ordering) and this is common practice for them.
Impossible to get a response from them if anything goes wrong.
I disputed the charge through my credit card company and got my money back, so not a huge problem.

So just a warning for any canucks.
Steer clear of hero outdoors.
It’s too bad because they seem to have the best selection of machetes of any Canadian online retailer.

I ended up ordering a condor parang from s&r, in case anyone was wondering.

Thanks

But they don't because they don't stock stuff. They wait till they get an order and then start trying to get the gear.

Hero outdoors

BBB Rating

F
73 Complaints

BBB files indicate a pattern of complaints regarding this company. Consumers have advised our office of the following issues: late or non-delivery of products, missing or incorrect items delivered, reneging on refund promises, issues with quality of products and customer service. Consumers do not receive a prompt resolution of their concerns.

TRUSTPILOT

Hero OutdoorsReviews
51 • Bad
stars-1.5.svg

YELP
RATING 1/5

Hero outdoors

BBB Rating

F
73 Complaints

BBB files indicate a pattern of complaints regarding this company. Consumers have advised our office of the following issues: late or non-delivery of products, missing or incorrect items delivered, reneging on refund promises, issues with quality of products and customer service. Consumers do not receive a prompt resolution of their concerns.

TRUSTPILOT

Hero OutdoorsReviews
51 • Bad
stars-1.5.svg

YELP
RATING 1/5
Ya
Should have done a google search obviously.
I was at work and just placed the order when I had a minute.
Lesson learned.

But they don't because they don't stock stuff. They wait till they get an order and then start trying to get the gear.
Ahh
Greasy way of doing business.

I actually had a tough time finding a decent machete.
Not as many options out there as I thought.

Ahh
Greasy way of doing business.

I actually had a tough time finding a decent machete.
Not as many options out there as I thought.
Well, at least not as much shelf wear on the packaging.

Pretty decent run / price range of these on Blades Canada too if you're still looking.

Well, at least not as much shelf wear on the packaging.

Pretty decent run / price range of these on Blades Canada too if you're still looking.

I was hoping to find some of the lower priced models that get good reviews (Tramontina, marbles, etc)

W&W seems to be sold out of most of their condor 18” models. Lots of cold steel available.
If I hadn’t of grabbed the condor parang, I prob would have tried a cold steel.

You're in AB right? Probably be able to find some stuff in the outdoor or rod & gun stores too in the "I'm not gonna feel bad if I ding this" price range.
I was hoping to find some of the lower priced models that get good reviews (Tramontina, marbles, etc)

W&W seems to be sold out of most of their condor 18” models. Lots of cold steel available.
If I hadn’t of grabbed the condor parang, I prob would have tried a cold steel.

If you can't visit their store in person then just ahoid them. The website is filled with products that they don't have.

Another thread regarding Hero Outdoors -LINK

I had previously looked at their select of CRKs and thought it too good to be true in the past. I also noticed their images were identical to other retailers. When I also noticed they were not part of the authorized dealers list, I called shenanigans and decided not to proceed.

Back