Can't find the right whittler/stockman/cattle king

Well I've been searching for a little while but I can't find the right whittler. I've looked at most of the online stores and company websites but they never have exactly what I want.

These two are the closest I've found to what I want. The only thing that keeps me from buying the first is the blade steel. Call me names if you want:p ,I just can't bring myself to pay that price for a small knife in 420. The second was out because of the wharncliffe main blade. The queen stockman would be good but I couldn't find a model with stag handles.
http://www.cumberlandknifeworks.com...facturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=28
http://www.rod-neep.co.uk/rod/knives/reviews/smxvstag/index.html
9b9e99dcd0c428b646a062a9efc23332.jpg

I can attest to the fact that the steel in the Canal Street knives are heat treated to where the steel can maintain a great edge. I was quite surprised by how well it performs.
Greg

Hmmm. There are lots of whittlers and stockman out there. Here's a whittler I saw the other day, a Hen and Rooster made in Germany. It could be the only equal-end whittler on the market:
HR193D.jpg

It's stainless "Solingen steel", but priced much less than the Canal Street. Unfortunately it's currently out of stock at SMKW...

Case has a lot of the seahorse whittlers, like that queen. And I'm fond of the half-whittler pattern being sold by Boker, Hen and Rooster, and others. It's a seahorse whittler but with only two blades.

Here's an Eye Brand Whittler with carbon blades:
http://www.eknifeworks.com/webapp/e...tler&list=50&range=1&order=Default&SKU=EBSCDS
I can't vouch for their quality since I don't own one, but it caught my eye.

Henckles makes a half-whittler with stag handles. It's 420 stainless, but unlike the Canal Street, it's only $30 (dangit, it's also Out of Stock).

Have you browsed AG Russell's website? The Boker Apaloosa pocketknives have carbon blades and aren't too expensive.

Call me names if you want ,I just can't bring myself to pay that price for a small knife in 420.
No incoming names at all; I feel the exact same way. If a knife is equipped with a Premium price, it should come standard with premium materials and workmanship also.

Good Luck,
-Bob

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at AG Russell but didn't browse knives that weren't made in the U.S. I went back to look at them and the boker stag stockman in 440C on AG Russell caught my eye. But for this knife I'd prefer made in the U.S.

I don't like the various dyed stag scales out there nor do I like jigged or other patterns. So non-engraved and non-dyed (burnt would be okay) stag scales, a decent steel and made in the U.S. is what I'm looking for.

Maybe I will end up getting the Boker even though it's not made in the U.S.

Maybe I will end up getting the Boker even though it's not made in the U.S.
A while back I did a comparison review between the AG Russell (made by Boker) Swing Guard and the Canal Street Swing Guard. In that instance the German knife was superior to the American, and better steel.
YMMV of course.

I definitely understand if you prefer knives of a certain nationality though.

Best Wishes,
-Bob

I went through the same thing awhile back. Hard to find a stag whittler in 1095, no matter where it's made. I didn't find one I wanted either.

:thumbup: That's a looker for sure and a heck of a nice choice.

I have a similar shield on my custom Ruple stockman.

Attachments

• Ruple Stockman.jpg
    Ruple Stockman.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 22
Sweet looking knife, blues. I was actually starting to think I would have to go custom to get what I really wanted.

Have a deep abiding dislike for brass.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Just got it today. The bolsters are nickel but the spacers are brass. One side the stag is perfect the other side's a little disappointing.

Hey Chickenfried..I knew that a guy who would own a sweet little S&W in .22 would be a traditional fan..

Back