Canvas Micarta vs. G10 - a few thoughts...tell me what you think

Here's a good pic showing a nice variety of handle materials:

615939_521402791206832_1258676635_o.jpg

This is my Scout model, by the way - available at www.knivesshipfree.com

I read that other thread in the "Tinkering" forum about handle materials...most of that is guesses about which material is actually tougher. I can tell you which material uses up the most belts and is the hardest to grind in my shop (and I've made hundreds of knives using this material)...

It's Green Canvas Micarta.

Something to think about.

Dan

I really like the texture you leave on your Micarta, it feels better than most.

I wonder why Green would be any harder on belts than Natural or Black?

Thansk, FTR-14c.

GCM is more dense. It's definitely heavier and there's something about the dye/resin combination that somehow makes it tougher. Doesn't make sense to me. I don't understand it. But my belts don't lie - I can get 10 handles worth of life out of 1 rough grit belt with any other material except GCM - then it's almost a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio.

I think perhaps I see it more than other makers because I use a ton of 3/8" thick material and so the effect is magnified - compared to those using 3/16"-1/4" material.

Dan

Liners are decoratic when used with synthetics such as micarta and G10.

But they serve a function when used with natural materials. They provide a small buffer between the natural material and the steel of the knife. Natural materials expand/contract with changes in humidity and temperature. Steel doesn't (not at the temps I'm talking about). So the liner stays put against the steel and allows some flexibility for the natural material to "move".

:thumbup:

What material are your liners made of?

vulcanized paper - compressed and heat-bonded.

Daniel,

A while back ryanw posted a thread in shop talk
About a new handle material called C-TEK from
Composite crafts inc. Have you heard of this
Material ? And have you worked with it or have
Any interest to ? If so what is your opinion of it ?
Thanks in advance !

Frank

It looks very interesting as a premium handle material - saw it when it first came out and was "wow-ed" like everyone else. Only time will tell if it is durable enough for daily hard use.
I've been looking for an alternative to carbon fiber (which I'm not interested in using) and this could be it.

Dan

If you leave it out in the rain it will swell slightly - nothing a vigorous handsanding couldn't fix.

Micarta and G10 are fairly impervious to water.

Dan

I once used a silicone based gun oil. BAD idea! I would avoid anything with silicone, unless you want the velocity of the knife slipping from your hand to match your favorite muzzle velocity! Just my .02 worth.

DD

great note - will definitely keep that in mind!

I like both but think Micarta looks better.

They are both too heavy really.

I wish that more knifemakers would offer blades with lightweight handle choices.

I have the 2 bushcrafts, one with micart and one with the arctic birch handle and the birch one is SO much lighter.

A bushcraft in 3/32' steel with a birch or other lightweight handle would be a backpackers dream.

It's all a game of compromises. With the extra weight you get durability and strength.

A very timely and useful thread as I'm crushing on a Micarta scaled knife big time (but it's expensive so I gotta work on the wife some). I figured the micarta would be "stabilized" with resin and would not need waxing, etc, but now I will ask to be certain, assuming I'm "approved" to buy it.

Micarta is definitely stabilized and needs no waxing. In the long run, a little oil does help it out.

I've had micarta knives for years now - very little maintenance required.

Dan

Temperature:
G10 feels "cold" when you leave your knife outside in cool weather. Micarta always feels "warm".

Getting a touch of arthritis in my wrists from mutiple injuries over the years(colder=more achie) and "warm" is good!! Now my question why is Micarta "warm"??

Back