Canvas vs linen vs g10

I just saw someone bought the DT Esee 4 and it came with canvas micarta scales. I did not realize that. I just recently received the 5 and I think i really like the canvas. I don't have any problems with linen as my 4 has linen and I don't know anything about G10. What is your opinion of each. Give me the good and bad.

Canvas seems to have better traction over linen.
I think g-10's are much more brittle than micartas, but I doubt the real use that will require you such an impetuous action enough to break g-10's.

Canvas seems to have better traction over linen.
I think g-10's are much more brittle than micartas, but I doubt the real use that will require you such an impetuous action enough to break g-10's.

One isn't more "brittle" over the other since it is typically the same resins used to make micarta or G-10. Actually, G-10 would probably be the hardest yet wont fail because it uses sheets of glass fiber rather than the paper, linen or canvass that is used for micarta.

One isn't more "brittle" over the other since it is typically the same resins used to make micarta or G-10. Actually, G-10 would probably be the hardest yet wont fail because it uses sheets of glass fiber rather than the paper, linen or canvass that is used for micarta.

I thought I've read few threads regarding this topic before and many have said that the g-10 was more brittle.. :)

oh well, in any occasions it'll be damn difficult to even try to break them with/from real uses.

My experience is that linen is less grippy than g10 is less grippy than canvas.

My RTAK-II has canvas micarta and my 4 has G10. Canvas is nice but i like G10 alot more. Its tough as nails and doesn't absorb moisture/liquids.

The difference is in what they're made of: linen + resin, canvas + resin, or glass fiber (fiber glass) + resin.

As you can imagine, canvas will be rougher than linen, therefore giving you better traction, but not as smooth.

However, there's a wide variety of textures available with G10, since it's glass fibers, and can be made into whatever texture you want. I've seen completely smooth G10, and I've had some pretty good grippy G10 scales on some folders.

I can't say anything about ESEE's G10 scales since I don't own any YET (all my ESEE's are micarta (two 5's & a 6) or have no scales - Izulas). But I can say that G10 is pretty strong stuff. They all give pretty good traction with wet hands, and are tough. I think G10 is a bit more resistant to chemicals and moisture, while linen and canvas tend to soak it up.

My preference on a bigger fixed blade knife would be canvas first, then G10 and linen tie. My preference on a folder would be G10, and not micarta.

Canvas is some good stuff. I've been very pleased with all my experiences with it. I'd say it is naturally offers the most traction. As pointed out it will absorb moisture and stuff. You'll find threads about people asking how to clean micarta handles.

G10 is also good stuff. It's incredibly sturdy. From my research it is more structurally sound than the micartas. Having worked it I am inclined to believe that, however, the fact is I have only been using micarta and G10 for a couple of months now. As far grip/traction, G10 depends completely on the finish. You can get textured G10 which will grab you back when you grab it, or you can sand it smooth and polish it until it's like glass. Dale Stoops at TKC offers G10 scales which have a grip comparable to canvas micarta due to their finish. The one thing I'm not sure I like about G10 is that it does seem a bit heavier than micarta. But I've never gotten a couple equal pieces and a scale.

No experience with linen, and I honestly have never desired to handle linen from the beginning. It looks bad (IMHO) I don't see it offering the grip of canvas, and I don't think it will prove as tough as G10.

God bless,
Adam

I just got a DT ESEE4 with the canvas, and given the choice I would take the canvas over the linen.

But the linen does the job just fine and doesn't feel inferior in any way, just different. I prefer like the slightly more rugged feel and texture of the canvas.

Also the factory linen micarta handles will have green liners where as the canvas do not.

Back