Capsules

GD may be the wrong place for this, but I wanted to see if anyone had come up with the same thing I had. My wife and I are having our first child in late November-early December. She has gestational diabetes and now has to check her blood sugar regularly. She just finished her first batch of test strips. I was looking at the little capsule that the strips come in and I couldn’t help but notice how sturdy they are. Have any of you guys found a solid EDC or outdoors use for these things?

The advil travel tubes that come with like 10 pills and the good child proof lid are waterproof (tested repeatedly), I keep batteries, fishing kit, matches/ striker and various other stuff I need to keep dry in different kits. Idk how big the ones ur talking about are or how secure but I'm sure u could come up with something.

If I run across a small container that I like, I will use it. My backpack contains quite a few I've collected that hold all those small items you can never lay your hands on when you need them without dumping everything out on the floor. I like vintage 35mm film canisters, airgun pellet tins, Altoid tins, prescription bottles... anything small, sturdy and can be securely sealed. I'm sure if the capsules you're talking about are small and tough enough to live in my backpack, I've got something at the bottom of said backpack hiding from me that I can put in it.

They are just about the toughest little plastic vials I’ve come across. Plus the lid is on a tether so you cannot loose it. Too bad they aren’t a little bigger. Match safe sized would be perfect.

I found a bag of 35mm film canisters the other day. My dad had saved. My kids couldn’t understand what they were or why he saved them.

The way your thread started I thought you were making a time capsule for your new born. Which I did do. Every magazine newspaper catalog TV guide from their birth month. Went into a box.

It’s more challenging than you think. You have to think ahead on the magazines because they come out early.

Take good care of your wife and congrats to you both.

Last edited:
My friend's wife had GD, it was no fun, luckily it clears up after birth usually. Congrats on the baby, just had our first earlier this year. It's an awesome experience, but also terrifying at the same time. Enjoy, it's crazy how fast babies grow.

GD may be the wrong place for this, but I wanted to see if anyone had come up with the same thing I had. My wife and I are having our first child in late November-early December. She has gestational diabetes and now has to check her blood sugar regularly. She just finished her first batch of test strips. I was looking at the little capsule that the strips come in and I couldn’t help but notice how sturdy they are. Have any of you guys found a solid EDC or outdoors use for these things?
Congratulations! I considered that after I was on a super heavy steroid dose after my transplant and it kicked me diabetic, but I never used up a full capsule and donated what I had left. Honestly, my first use is probably the least imaginative, I would've kept medication in them for travel (labeled, of course) as they're nice and compact, but also sturdy.

They are just about the toughest little plastic vials I’ve come across. Plus the lid is on a tether so you cannot loose it. Too bad they aren’t a little bigger. Match safe sized would be perfect.

I found a bag of 35mm film canisters the other day. My dad had saved. My kids couldn’t understand what they were or why he saved them.
I am not familiar with the little plastic capsules you are referring to. Maybe you could take a picture with a ruler beside for scale?? I use the old 35mm plastic film canisters a fair amount. They are quite useful and many people saved them. I wonder if folks are selling them on fleabay these days? They can be quite useful. I also save various sizes of plastic containers used by the pharmacies for prescriptions. Use them where being absolutely water proof is not a necessity. Great for storing fishing lures (spinners) and small screws that would just fly around.

... a super heavy steroid dose after my transplant and it kicked me diabetic....
Friend of mine had the same experience and he's diabetic now. His situation is different as the heavy doses went on for 6 months. It has caused other problems too... life threatening problems.... He is essentially disabled now and presently in the hospital. That doctor will be sued in the coming months. The doctors at the hospital just shook their heads about the steroid doses and for the length of time..... they would never say anything out loud criticizing the other doctor, but you knew that doctor screwed up.

I am not familiar with the little plastic capsules you are referring to. Maybe you could take a picture with a ruler beside for scale?? I use the old 35mm plastic film canisters a fair amount. They are quite useful and many people saved them. I wonder if folks are selling them on fleabay these days? They can be quite useful. I also save various sizes of plastic containers used by the pharmacies for prescriptions. Use them where being absolutely water proof is not a necessity. Great for storing fishing lures (spinners) and small screws that would just fly around.

Maybe the OP has a picture? I’ve seen them but don’t have any. But I know what he was talking about

I generally use zip-lock bags of one size or another for most odds and ends in my bags/luggage. I do, however, use old pill bottles for things like vitamins. I also use some old Fossil tins (square with foam) for transporting small delicate/scratchable items.

"They are just about the toughest little plastic vials I’ve come across. Plus the lid is on a tether so you cannot loose it. Too bad they aren’t a little bigger. Match safe sized would be perfect."

What vials are these, and where can one get them?

Yes I called it a plastic vial then compared it to a 35 mm film can. It is exactly what the OP was talking about. But he called them capsules. Were you expecting it to be something else?

Yes I called it a plastic vial then compared it to a 35 mm film can. It is exactly what the OP was talking about. But he called them capsules. Were you expecting it to be something else?
Names, terminology..... The labs I use call a particular kind of bottle "tubes" which I could never really figure out.

Back