Caracci Wisdom

Mr Caracci,
At the Hawk seminar and in (at least) one of your tape you use the phrase "see big things in a small way and small things in a big way." I was hoping that you would be able to expand on this idea a little further. I have been thinking about this phrase for a while and thought it was finally time to ask.
Thank you!
Peter

an instructor used to say something similar. i took it to mean, "don't worry about what you do, worry about how you do it." e.g. don't worry about which gun/technique/weapon you're using- make sure you're using it perfectly. or, "little things kill". just my experience with similar advice.

i'd like to hear what Mr. Caracci means by it though.

Peter,

I think it can mean a lot of things on a lot of levels...I have an idea: let's all come up with interpretations like LT Hawkins did, and see if, when CJC gets on here, any of us got it. At least it forces us to think in the meantime, and I know that's what he'd prefer, rather than spoonfeeding us.

I personally took it to mean several things. "Don't get so distracted by the most obvious threat that you miss the more subtle, yet more dangerous threat that's also right there."

I also took it to mean "think out of the box, and see the relationships between big and small things and events -- how not to be too microcosmic in your awareness, but expand it outward and see how everything works together on a more universal basis."

Jeez, now I'm using big Andy-Prisco words... ;)

Anyone else? BT?

Best,

Brian.

I think it is a riddle you tell bad guys who are kicking your ass. As they stop and ponder the meaning you sneak up behing the bad guy and whack 'em with your hawk! :)

Sorry, I'm in a humorous mood :)

Peter,
Between you and Brian, you two are actually going to make me write on this Forum thing.
But questions such as this I really do not mind.
I must say I am just happy that you heard something. You know words are certainly never specific enough. They can obviously mean so many different things and that’s the point. What they mean to me isn't half as important if they are in some way valuable to you. Also the context in which something is brought up in is often critical to meaning. So then, "see things that are small in a big way and that which is big in a small way." What the hell can that mean?

One issue is that which is small is often the fundamentals that are forgotten because we have gone way past that. Maybe we should give them a greater value.

That which one man may apply to one man may apply to several. That which is applied to a man may apply to a vehicle, because a vehicle is built for man. That which one may apply to 10, 10 may apply to 100 and 100 may apply to 1,000.

That which is viewed as unimportant may not be, see all things and yet see nothing.

Everything is connected and this perception gives one a greater respect of all.

A person has the ability to if large become small and if small become big. Is this possible physically or is this just a mental concept?

In the military when patrolling one must be able to see distant as well as close, and this must be thought of simultaneously.

Remember mental awareness begins with awareness of you from with in.

Now, I don't know if this helps you and I don't want to sound like some sage because if I sound like I know something it surely means that I don't. It is all a learning process, and NO my mind is not on some altering chemical at this time.
The effort to consider what is out there is what is important, to go beyond where most think is the challenge, but I must warn you, it is a very dangerous area out there and I love it!

You mean like the proverb:" can't see the forest for the trees"???:confused:

I suffer from that sometimes.:rolleyes:

Mr. Caracci,
Thank you for the reply. I had to read it about five times to finally get a grasp of the information and even now I still go back and re-read it. Fundamentals are truly the key. I have found when all else fails return to the basics and have applied this to every walk of my life. I believe this is part of the proverb!
Peter

The original thought process and phrase comes from the general schools of thought shared by the famed Chinese general Sun-Tzu and the great Japanese swordsman Musashi.

It means one must train one's self to see (to consider while determining strategy and tactics)all things, whether large or small (important or unimportant) in proper perspective with reference to the battle or campaign at hand.

By doing so one cannot be taken in by what first appeared unimportant or non-threatening, nor fooled by that which at first appeared all important and surely the threat.

It is a lesson in seeking, attaining, then maintaining focus and balance so one will fight properly and thereby gain the victory.

Our eyes see only what is presented to them for view, which is easily manipulated and fooled by those in opposition to us.

The properly focused and balanced mind "sees" beyond physical vision and the tricks that can be played on it. Hence right strategy and right tactics regardless of what appears to be the truth. Therefore see (consider) large matters (things) as small, and small matters (things) as large in your mind. Don't let your eyes deceive you. Trust your planning, training, hard intelligence, and your capabilities. Apply right strategy with right tactics and employ a powerful Spirit at the right moment and you will succeed.

As conveyed to me by a little old Chinese gentleman who studied the arts of war at the feet of the masters.

And he was quite the swordsman, too

:D :D

I found it very interesting how many people thought they new what I was talking about but weren't even there.

CJ -

My sense of such a public forum is the open exchange of ideas and opinions.

It would be difficult to, although one could create a private chat room with denied access, to confine such discussion to only those who are able to attend seminars, classes, and so on.

I wouldn't see any of this as a personal challenge. You know what you said and what you meant. I believe those who know you, or of you, have great respect for that.

Your forum provides a "voice" for many. When I was editor of Fighting Knives and Full Contact, I ensured those publications likewise provided a "voice" to those who had no other forum open to them. I believe you were one of these at the time.

If you would prefer folks like myself did not participate on your forum, please so advise. I'll understand and wander around on the other pages / threads.:)

G

Now, now, Sierra 912,
I apologize if I may have offended you in any way this was not my intent. You see, I do not have a strong sense of "The Public Forum", but I am learning. I admit that I had some concerns about some of your posts, and I did speak to Mr. Prisco about it. My concerns were based on the intent of this person. I am, as I know you are sensitive about a person’s background especially when they allude to having knowledge or experiences in these arenas. It is a responsibility we must have to our students. Up until a few days ago Mr. Prisco and I were unaware of your true identity; he just figured it out, I believe last Friday.
This makes a big difference to me, whether that is good or bad it is the truth. It is a pleasure to have your comments and thoughts here. The readers and I can greatly benefit from them and again no offense intended; often it is easy to have the right words, and from behind a computer screen anyone can hide behind the curtain, so to speak. I know this is not who you are but, until I was aware of your identity I had no way of knowing who this person was.
I am sure you can appreciate that I am very protective of our readers and I hope you can excuse me.
You are right about providing a voice for me some time ago and I have not nor will not forget it; thank you again.
I hope you are doing well and wish you the best. I appreciate your taking the time here and hope you will continue to do so in the future.
When I can verify the experience, sincerity and intent of a person that responds at your caliber, I greatly welcome their involvement. I believe the readers should have other qualified opinions.
So please don't take off the gloves, because next it's the shirts then the oil comes out and all that wrestling stuff.
Just kidding.
Take Care

For those following this Mr. Caracci and I have known each other for a few years now.:)

I've enjoyed the opportunity to have studied - not watched - STUDIED his many training videos and to have read and given great consideration to what he offers as both a platform instructor (one of the best I've seen) and "goer and doer" of which there are too few of.

At Fighting Knives I was honored to provide a forum for Chris to, for the first time up until that point, talk about the depth of his involvement in a specific knife he designed and saw become very popular.

After that I was blessed to work with a pair of tactical gloves he'd designed, which have held up wonderfully and meet the challenges he told me they would.

And then there's simply tracking on what he has to say and teach...during which I never do not learn something new or see something I hadn't considered...that I should have.

It's great to have a free and easy forum like this to simply be a regular Joe. Thanks for creating, managing, and promoting it for the benefit of all.

GW

PS: Merry Christmas, Chris. Take good care and be safe!

Hey GW, how about getting back into writing so there's something decent out there to read? Alot of us really miss FK.

Dave

Actually, I love the forum and it allows me to share and learn from others like any other fella out there:)

And I like that!:D

However, your thought is appreciated and is most kind.

Onward and upward.:cool:

Sierra912, I echo Lifter's sentiments. I subscribed from issue 2 and have every issue of FK and I met John M Smith and have one of his American Inner City knives and one of his American Wilderness knives. I also ordered my CQC-6 on your magazines article. If it wasn't for the exposure to these individuals and others , I don't know if the tactical area of knives would where it is today! Great Job. -Dick

Thanks. You got some great knives! I especially like John Smith as both a maker and person. A true gentleman.

Yes I too miss fighting knives and wish that someone would devote a periodical to these knives again ....

Back