Carbon diffusion question

Alex Topfer

Basic Member
Hey
I was poking around looking at knife designs, and came across this quote: "The blade has been made from a Dark San Mai billet handforged by [smith] from 80crv2 and 1080+ with a sandwiched nickel shim to prevent carbon migration"

Carbon migration/diffusion is just a diffusion process that occurs when the steel is hot enough that carbon is able to move through it, right? Specifically an atomic diffusion process
So it seems to me that you wouldn't need to worry about carbon diffusion between 1080 and 80crv2 as the steels are about the same carbon content, so the net diffusion between the two is going to be minimal.
Or does the presence of the chromium and vanadium on the 80crv2 affect the diffusion sufficiently that it will lead to a diffusion gradient? I wouldn't have thought they would make that much of a difference, mostly just making the carbon less able to move through the steel which wouldn't really affect this.

Clearly we are in the realm of doing stuff because it looks cool, so that's probably the real reason

You were wise to pick door number three. It looks good. I do it on forged san-mai blades to get a faux-hamon look. A strip of .020" pure nickel on both sides of the core ends up quite attractive and also makes the weld easier to set.

Nickel does not stop carbon migration, it’s possible that it slows it down, not sure. More testing is needed.

Alloy will affect carbon migration but there’s not enough in these two steels to make a difference.

Hoss

Thank you!

You were wise to pick door number three. It looks good. I do it on forged san-mai blades to get a faux-hamon look. A strip of .020" pure nickel on both sides of the core ends up quite attractive and also makes the weld easier to set.
Yeah, copper layers seem to be very popular around here at the moment for that reason. I like the simple look of just plain san mai

Back