Carbon Mule scale question

Here's a question for all you experienced Mule guys. For a carbon steel Mule, do I force a patina on the handle before the scales cover it, or oil the handle and put on scales, or don't do anything to the handle before adding scales? Thinking about picking up that A-11. Thanks.

Coat handle with petroleum jelly. Coat backside of scales with petroleum jelly. Put together wipe off excess

I wrap mine with paracord and don't care what happens. I buy them to use, not to look at. And the PMA11 is pretty sweet, I like it a lot.

I have given my 52100 Mule a complete black patina with citric acid bath before I mounted the scales from halpern titanium. Under the scales I also have used some petroleum jelly in addition.

I mounted the Halpern scales on an S110V Mule and then subjected it to a lot of corrosive and wet conditions. It was used to field dress and process elk and deer, it was used fishing, it was frozen in ice in the bottom of an ice fishing sled and it sat wet in a sink. The blade never rusted or stained at all but after at least a year of this treatment I removed the scales and found a bit of rust under them. It cleaned up easily and I oiled the handle and put them back on. I didn't oil them beforehand though. I have had no problems since.

I think that putting Vaseline on under the scales is good advice.

Here's a question for all you experienced Mule guys. For a carbon steel Mule, do I force a patina on the handle before the scales cover it, or oil the handle and put on scales, or don't do anything to the handle before adding scales? Thinking about picking up that A-11. Thanks.
what I do is apply fluid film to the whole knife and put the scales on. Fluid film is amazingly good protection. However it's lanolin based. Which means it's from sheeps wool and some people are allergic to that.

Thats what I've done to my A11 and Maxamet mule team scales. They also have another mule team coming out shortly that's high carbon too,ill likely do the same if I get it.

Otherwise you can use say mineral oil but... You will likely want to reapply it at some point.

Warm the bare blade with a hair dryer and put some Froglube on it, attach scales. A very effective rust preventive and non toxic!

Back