Carbon steel and patina

BP_

Platinum Member
Played around with a 5160 hunting knife I just received. The knife came out really well, and I think the patina did too. Vinegar soaked cloth for about an hour, rinsed off thoroughly and dried. A little oil and she’s ready to go. Should be a good all around worker and hunter :thumbsup:

54372117-F123-4ABC-9212-6C8D516A5BE0.jpeg

Just wanted to share my experience.

I found that vinegar worked really well. I’ve done mustard as well, and it worked well too. Potato, onion, I think the variations (and new ideas) are cool. Feel free to post pics, discuss how you did it, what you like or don’t like, etc.

Looks like a good start now go get some brass black and finish the job.

Reactions: BP_
Looks like a good start now go get some brass black and finish the job.

I think I’ll keep them clean, but not polished. I won’t let them blacken, just natural haze over time from use. I like the little contrast on it :thumbsup:

Got my initials on that sheath too.... nice touch.

I like the look there, might have to do a couple of pieces I have laying around here.

Potato, eh? You just insert it into the spud and leave it or such?

Got my initials on that sheath too.... nice touch.

I like the look there, might have to do a couple of pieces I have laying around here.

Potato, eh? You just insert it into the spud and leave it or such?

Yep, I have done it a few times. Pick one that’s a tad longer than your blade, shove it in and leave it. I typically leave them an hour or 2, rinse and repeat sticking it in a different spot the second time. Different pattern will emerge over the first. They usually come out pretty cool.

view

view

My favorite patina story. Used it to eat corned beef and cabbage for a week or so. Natural juices, hot sauce, vinegar, mustard, horse radish. Use it, make sure the entire blade is covered let it set an hour or so. Then rinse and dry

Last edited:
F0DCB711-7604-47C1-9036-5007F7C4401C.jpeg My first experience with patina came at an early age. I got a brand new Camillus 72 Boy Scout 3 blade whittler. My absolute pride and joy. I was still a Cub Scout, but knew to buy a Boy Scout knife.

I went away for the weekend with my mom to her aunts camp. I caught a small fish and wanted to eat it. Of course I had to use that clip point master on my new knife. I rinsed and dried it and left it next to the sink. Next morning I found out my great aunt had opened all the blades and put it in the dishwasher!

It was a red rust mess. Locked up solid. I was heart broken. When I got home my Dad taught me the difference between carbon steel and stainless, I also learned about mystery oil steel wool and elbow grease, and ultimately about patina.

Last edited:
View attachment 1460532 View attachment 1460533

My favorite patina story. Used it to eat corned beef and cabbage for a week or so. Natural juices, hot sauce, vinegar, mustard, horse radish. Use it, make sure the entire blade is covered let it set an hour or so. Then rinse and dry

That is a handsome looking knife. Been on the fence about picking one up, but I think I probably will. I like those scales a lot too :thumbsup:

My first experience with patina came at an early age. I got a brand new Camillus 72 Boy Scout 3 blade whittler. My absolute pride and joy. I went away for the weekend with my mom to her aunts camp. I caught a small fish and wanted to eat it. Of course I had to use that clip point master on my new knife. I rinsed and dried it and left it next to the sink. Next morning I found out my great aunt had opened all the blades and put it in the dishwasher!

It was a red rust mess. Locked up solid. I was heart broken. When I got home my Dad taught me the difference between carbon steel and stainless, I also learned about mystery oil steel wool and elbow grease, and ultimately about patina.

That is one tough lesson at a young age. But, it made for a great story, and advice you will always remember ;):thumbsup:

Thanks it’s a Buck 212 with jigged Buffalo horn scales one of 13 made.

The devastating damage to the knife ended up being a great learning experience all around. I carried that knife daily through most of my childhood. I was going to say “no harm no foul”. But it turned out to be more of a “life hands you lemons, make lemonade” story. I’ll get a picture of what it looks like now and add it to my post later.

Forcing a patina is nothing new, 100 years ago my great grandmother knew to stick a new knife into a potato to season it, she also knew how to cook with cast iron.

Every time my dad used a knife (he was a chef), he would cover the entire blade with the juice of whatever he cut wait a minute then clean it off. He said it kept the knife balanced, I think he meant evenly seasoned.

He did the same thing with the cutting board.

Last edited:
These got the 2 day onion treatment. If you are lucky you get a cool Damascus kind of pattern. I was determined to let this one patina naturally but it was getting weird spots

view

Last edited:
This one got the 2 day onion treatment. If you are lucky you get a cool Damascus kind of pattern. I was determined to let this one patina naturally but it was getting weird spots View attachment 1460547

I have always liked the onion. The potato I’ve done plenty as well. This time I thought it would be cool to try vinegar to see how it worked. But I really like that pattern the onion gives :D

I’m very aware of that 212 you’ve got there ;);) I was thinking of getting the D2 SKBlades version if there are any left. Last time I checked he still had a few laying around :cool::thumbsup:

The small one was a Vadalia, it came out great, the other one was a purple Spanish onion, it was a little too much so it got scotch brite polished

view

Im happy with both of them now.

Last edited:
That SKBlades 212 with the Micarta is a great knife. The Micarta is a little too dark to really show off the material. He has dropped the price pretty low, I’d jump on it if I were you. Of course being D2 it won’t patina

I forgot to say I like the way your knife came out. Nice even coat almost looks like a gun blue finish. It will look better after it’s next sharpening and the edge is shiny. I agree about the brass let it turn on its own into that brownish yellow.

I think it turned out pretty decent. Time and use I think will make it a lot better, but it’s got a good protective coating to start for now. We’ll see how she holds up over the winter and into the spring :thumbsup:

Back