Cardboard Survival Axe

I know, I know ... It looks more like a spatula than an axe.

picture.php

What I was thinking is a triple sided hatchet. Using the 4 holes, you could lash a stick to the hatchet, and use the top edge. Jimping on both the upper and lower sides, so you could choke up. I wanted something that you could use as both a hatchet and a knife. So what do you think of the Survival Spatula?

JOHN: 4"X11"

Interesting design, you could probably use it as an entrenching tool as well. I'm just not sure that you have enough handle to lash a stick to securely !!!

Looks a bit like the disco'd Maddox by Spyderco. I think it'd be hard to do a compromise and the best bet is to carry two dedicated tools, a knife and a small hand ax. Otherwise you have to create the blade thin enough to work for knife stuff, but thick enough to handle heavy chopping.

Then you have what are you going to make it out of. Toughness (S7/L6) for an ax or edge retention (S30V/ZDP-189) for a knife. Maybe H1?

I have a ton of respect for knife designers. When you put real world constraints on a design, the best I could do is a Survival Spatula.:eek::thumbup:

I have a ton of respect for knife designers. When you put real world constraints on a design, the best I could do is a Survival Spatula.:eek::thumbup:

Don't put yourself down buddy, I'm sure you have a clear image of your design in your head but it's hard putting them down on paper !!!!;)

I'd freakin love a survival spatula. Basically a sharpened disk. :thumbup:

The only thing I thought was off was the expectation to use it to chop and do knife work. Maybe if the back edge has a thin scandi grind to it and you didn't chop with that side. But then again, you wouldn't be able to put any pressure on the backside of the blade.

I'd freakin love a survival spatula. Basically a sharpened disk. :thumbup:

The only thing I thought was off was the expectation to use it to chop and do knife work. Maybe if the back edge has a thin scandi grind to it and you didn't chop with that side. But then again, you wouldn't be able to put any pressure on the backside of the blade.

Thanks man. My thinking was when one side got dull, just flip her over. I was thinking the same thing you were (different grind, flat back for batoning, etc..). Just thought I'd keep it simple, as pitdog said, you could use the sharpened front to dig a cat hole or fire pit.

BTW, love your posts. Good reading.:thumbup::cool:

Believe it or not, that would cost more to make than my standard hatchet, because with the handle down the middle like that, you can only get 1 out of an 18" piece of stock. (standard length) With the standard hatchet, you can get 2 out of an 18" piece, because you stagger the handles.

It looks neat, but I'd probably use steel instead of cardboard. Cardboard doesn't hold a very good edge :)

Ya... I'm THAT funny this early in the morning.

No seriously though, it's an interesting design. I wonder how well it would work. I like the idea of taking a Nessmuk design idea and making one side thicker and one side thinner.

Back