care of handles

At the risk of kicking a hornet's nest, what are people doing to maintain handles? Mineral oil, BLO, or something else for wood? Neatsfoot oil or what for horn? I don't have any problems with my kukhris but I prefer to prevent a problem rather than repair one. I'm in the Pacific Northwest so a dry climate is not an issue. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.

I just like to keep the wood hydrated. Any thin oil will work. I use linseed. I took Yangdu a couple cans of Ballistol to put on the handles as soon as they arrived.
At least once a year or more or when I'm fondling, I like to just put a little oil on them. Both the handle and the blade.
Sometimes regardless of our efforts they have issues. Being wood (which I love) they can do strange things. The grain and density of the wood is a big factor. I'm happy that I've never had any issues with mine.
I'm in the Pacific Northwest also, and as you say dry isn't an issue.

There's more knowledgeable people than me out there but my knives are in decent condition. My CAK is going on 10+ years. My opinion is it usually doesn't need that much special care.

Rule #1 and I hate that it even has to be mentioned: absolutely never any dishwasher. Big no no. Glad that didn't happen to one my khuks but I've nearly had an aneurysm when I found a (formerly) nice wooden chef knife in there. Anyways. Just don't.

Likewise, avoid needlessly soaking in water. Sometimes it rains and you need a tool, that's totally fine, just wipe it down when you're done if you can. Soaking it in the sink for an hour, not so much.

Oil now and then. Everyone's got their thing, but I'm happy as long as it's foodsafe and doesn't go rancid. Stuff like olive oil goes rancid pretty quick.
Sure my CAK is mostly used for splitting wood, but I've had to prepare a bird with it now and then and it was nice not having to worry about whatever product might be on there.
I'm sure motor oil would be a great protection, but I don't wanna eat that.
I prefer non-petroleum products, never been a big fan of BLO personally and most mineral oils around here are scented baby oil which I don't fancy much.

Me? I usually have a good supply of coconut oil so that's what I use (works great for dry skin, massage, etc.)
It's pretty thick though.
I'd probably avoid lubing the pivot of a folding knife with it, but a khukuri doesn't have this problem.
I don't soak it, just a light coat and a buff every few months or after a particularly rainy day (do dry thoroughly before oiling). I also use it on the blade, I'm just lazy. I apply liberally on the blade, some will get in the sheath too.
The handles? I always buff them dry after oiling. I want the oil *in* the wood, more than *on* it.

Always curious as to what others are doing, so chime in.

I like mineral oil for keeping the color. I was a knife noob when I got my first two from here, I didn't appreciate the whole difference in climates thing. It caused both my handles to crack. So I looked on here, learned about the jb weld and sawdust crack fill, then I took and filled a can and soaked them in oil. Absolutely beat on them in the years since, no issues, and the two cracks have not increased. Not sure if that much oil was necessary. I have noticed since that it seems like wood sometimes can absorb much more than a few wipe downs. These days with something new or really old I'll take a paper towel, wrap it around the handle, soak that, and put the handle in a zip lock and zip it up as close I can and set it aside. Then I'll just oil periodically after. No idea if that's necessary, or helpful, or overkill. Not an expert. But I feel less paranoid, it's more a personal comfort thing.

Back