"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

GT, I don’t know what happened to me, but I did take a picture of my lambsfoot last night. For some reason I didn’t post it here, but it got it’s own special spot—it didn’t even share the spotlight.
The AC Lambs are just so great!.
I'll sleep easier tonight, Joshua; thanks for assuaging my fears! :D:thumbsup::thumbsup:
John is right; those ACs are just so dad gum photogenic!! :cool::cool:

- GT

Took a new-to-me Rough Ryder smooth tobacco bone copperhead (a generous gift from Todd bigfish64 bigfish64 - thanks! :):thumbsup:) on a walk to a lake yesterday. Here's a photo of the knife:
tobaccoCH.mark.Vclip.jpg
Here's a photo of the lake (from west end looking east):
reedslake.lookingEast.jpg

I walked out onto a long public dock with many turns that went from the shore through a marshy area out to open water, where there was a "fishing deck". In the top of a dead tree near the end of the dock was this guy:
bald.eagle?reedslake.jpg
If I had to guess, I'd say immature bald eagle, but I sure haven't noticed any bald eagles in my area. Anyway, some young waterfowl came flying noisily to land in the lake near the edge of the marsh, and the raptor went diving after them, but changed his flight plan when a big Canada goose positioned himself aggressively between the attacker and the flock of youngsters. Pretty cool sight! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Is my ID of the bird reasonable??

- GT

Took a new-to-me Rough Ryder smooth tobacco bone copperhead (a generous gift from Todd bigfish64 bigfish64 - thanks! :):thumbsup:) on a walk to a lake yesterday. Here's a photo of the knife:
View attachment 1548800
Here's a photo of the lake (from west end looking east):
View attachment 1548818

I walked out onto a long public dock with many turns that went from the shore through a marshy area out to open water, where there was a "fishing deck". In the top of a dead tree near the end of the dock was this guy:
View attachment 1548822
If I had to guess, I'd say immature bald eagle, but I sure haven't noticed any bald eagles in my area. Anyway, some young waterfowl came flying noisily to land in the lake near the edge of the marsh, and the raptor went diving after them, but changed his flight plan when a big Canada goose positioned himself aggressively between the attacker and the flock of youngsters. Pretty cool sight! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Is my ID of the bird reasonable??

- GT
The head looks very Eagle-like to me, Gary. I suppose it could be another species, but your guess seems right to me.

Thanks for the confirmations, gentlemen. :)
I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen a bald eagle in person in the wild.

- GT
We have quite a few around here, our proximity to the Mississippi River is the main reason. The Alton area has always had lots of Bald Eagles wintering along the River, as the population of Eagles continues to grow they are now staying all year and spreading out to areas like ours. Special thing to see Gary.;):thumbsup:

I was once part owner of a small farm on the Little Qualicum River on Vancouver Island, B.C. When the Chinook salmon ran in the fall, I would see scores of Gulls and Bald Eagles along the banks, either feeding on the dead Salmon or just sitting there, some in the trees, so bloated from fish, they didn't want to take off!!
I have seen 30-40 Eagles circling over my cabin, so high I needed binoculars to see what they were! It was just a short winding path down to the swimmin' hole!
One hour north of me, from the internet;
"Brackendale is "The World Eagle Capital" where a world record count, 3769 of wintering American Bald Eagles was recorded in 1994. Located one scenic hour north of Vancouver, BC Brackendale Art Galley is a center for the arts in the Squamish River Valley."

I was once part owner of a small farm on the Little Qualicum River on Vancouver Island, B.C. When the Chinook salmon ran in the fall, I would see scores of Gulls and Bald Eagles along the banks, either feeding on the dead Salmon or just sitting there, some in the trees, so bloated from fish, they didn't want to take off!!
I have seen 30-40 Eagles circling over my cabin, so high I needed binoculars to see what they were! It was just a short winding path down to the swimmin' hole!
One hour north of me, from the internet;
"Brackendale is "The World Eagle Capital" where a world record count, 3769 of wintering American Bald Eagles was recorded in 1994. Located one scenic hour north of Vancouver, BC Brackendale Art Galley is a center for the arts in the Squamish River Valley."
That’s amazing Charlie. Ten minutes after I respond to Gary’s post, an eagle flew over our cove, I saw it through my kitchen window. Still get excited every time I see one, hope I never lose that excitement.:):thumbsup:
Todd

Oh yeah.
Well I dee your Bald Eagles and raise you a Sea Eagle.....flying directly across in front my bus one afternoon....trying to get in to the air from off the beach...with a big dead muttonbird in its mouth......it was struggling so I slowed down for it....I think theres a nest in the swamplands ...at least for now until the 200 new home blocks get sold...

I saw a robin yesterday.
5yyQaco.jpg

He may not look like much, but he's a 40-foot-tall escapee from the research station at the Kellogg Bird Sanctuary.

Oh yeah.
Well I dee your Bald Eagles and raise you a Sea Eagle.....flying directly across in front my bus one afternoon....trying to get in to the air from off the beach...with a big dead muttonbird in its mouth......it was struggling so I slowed down for it....I think theres a nest in the swamplands ...at least for now until the 200 new home blocks get sold...
That’s a great story my friend, but did I tell you about the time an eagle swooped down and snatched my buddy’s little dog? I of course saw it coming, and just as the eagle grabbed the dog I leaped into the air and managed to grab hold of the enormous Bald Eagle’s tail features. With tail features in one hand, I snagged my 92 Talon from my pocket and using Dylan’s one hand opening technique, I managed to open my knife and cut the dog’s collar freeing it from clutches of the enormous eagle and an almost certain death. My buddy caught his dog before it hit the ground. I held on until we were over the water, at that point I let go of the eagle’s tail features and dropped safely into the lake.
I swam back to shore, dried off my knife, and finished my beer. all in a day’s work my friends.:)
Todd

I swam back to shore, dried off my knife, and finished my beer. all in a day’s work my friends.
I had to chew it's talons off one by one until it dropped her.
You guys must have been born on a Hollywood backlot!!:eek::D

Back to Earth, I asked our Goodfellas, JohnDF JohnDF to make me a pocket slip for a longer knife I have!! The package came quickly, across the border, and with a bonus slip!! Thanks so much John!! Very nice work!!JohnDF leather 2.jpg

This may not be the place for true stories, but I have a Misen chefs' knife coming today. I've been seeing them advertised on NYT Cooking and probably a couple other things, and I've been thinking that my 10-inchers are a bit much for cooking for one on cluttered countertops, and suddenly they were $52 instead of $65, for a limited time only. And I didn't have an eight-incher (except for a few in the basement that I'd forgotten about).
But this one has been designed, rigorously tested, and revised until it's perfect in every way, so it should be good.

This may not be the place for true stories, but I have a Misen chefs' knife coming today. I've been seeing them advertised on NYT Cooking and probably a couple other things, and I've been thinking that my 10-inchers are a bit much for cooking for one on cluttered countertops, and suddenly they were $52 instead of $65, for a limited time only. And I didn't have an eight-incher (except for a few in the basement that I'd forgotten about).
But this one has been designed, rigorously tested, and revised until it's perfect in every way, so it should be good.
I was given a Misen chef knife, and...it's okay. The ergonomics are great on this knife, and it looks really good. But I got a lot of edge chipping in the half of the blade towards the point in the first few weeks, and then it took a pretty big warp in the part of the blade closer to the handle. Other people I know love these knives, and have had nothing but good experiences with them. Looking around online, it seems like the heat treatment is very inconsistent, not only from knife to knife (from great to not-so-great), but even on one knife (which might explain why parts of my blade chipped and another part warped). I'm planning on getting another chef knife, and regrinding this into a utility knife.

I hope you get one of the Misen's with great heat treat! Because when these are good, they're really good. I think I just got a poor example.

-Tyson

I was given a Misen chef knife, and...it's okay. The ergonomics are great on this knife, and it looks really good. But I got a lot of edge chipping in the half of the blade towards the point in the first few weeks, and then it took a pretty big warp in the part of the blade closer to the handle. Other people I know love these knives, and have had nothing but good experiences with them. Looking around online, it seems like the heat treatment is very inconsistent, not only from knife to knife (from great to not-so-great), but even on one knife (which might explain why parts of my blade chipped and another part warped). I'm planning on getting another chef knife, and regrinding this into a utility knife.

I hope you get one of the Misen's with great heat treat! Because when these are good, they're really good. I think I just got a poor example.

-Tyson
Oh, dear. Super-Genius here better check on the warranty. How long before the warp developed?
Sorry about yours and fingers crossed for mine. Not here yet.

Last edited:
Back