Carolina rig ?

Any of you know of a way to fish a carolina rig without using a swivel and having to tie three knots? I have some speedo beads made for this but they are no longer manufactured and I will eventually run out. Carolina keepers dont work at all.

In other words, Im looking for a sinker stop that doesnt have to be tied on.

Last edited:
I find taking the time for the 3 knots is the best way, but I am listening.

I also prefer glass beads.

Last edited:
an inelegant variation of a carolina keeper is to use a split shot to stop the sliding sinker...i'll do this only because i have no choice..

if a carolina keeper ain't holding itself on the line, then i will rig it: leader-swivel-bead-sinker...that's the carolina rig that works

I like swivels mainly because I use fireline and powerpro 100% of the time on my baitcasting gear.

A a couple knots is not big deal to me. I tie tons of knots for leaders for fly fishing and float fishing, just part of the game.

Im afraid the split shot damages the line. Tying three knots gets frustrating after a half dozen riggings.I fish in snags, use Carolina rigs for bass and cats. I use the swivel but there has to be a better "one knot" way. And Knots are the weekest point of the line . Three knots three chances of failure.

1 albright to a leader? Well, you still need one for your hook.

No, one for the hook , no leader.The weight still spaced above the hook. I think the great minds on this site may come up with something.

Heres the speedo bead. Only one knot tied. Fast and easy . It works. Speedo beads are no longer made. A person could add al lthe glass beads and clackers hje wants to it.

bones039.jpg

Last edited:
Ya man...3 knots...glass beads (makes that crawdad clack sound) and a hard weight for them to clack on...i think my weights are brass...to get that clacky sound

I use braid on all my rods (except my ultralight), so I am always using a leader anyway. I tie a palomar knot around the swivel from the braid, this way if I get snagged I am only losing the hook..

I never use braid. I always hold the line between my thumb and index finger .Braid cuts my finger on hooksets. I forget to let go.:D

You could always peg the sinker with a toothpick.

If you need the sinker to slide, three knots is the way to go.
Think of it as good practice.

Besides, don't trust a knot for long anyway.
Especially when fishing heavy cover and when the knot gets stressed often.

You could always peg the sinker with a toothpick.

If you need the sinker to slide, three knots is the way to go.
Think of it as good practice.

Besides, don't trust a knot for long anyway.
Especially when fishing heavy cover and when the knot gets stressed often.

I dont need practice.

I dont need practice.

Well I didn't mean to infer that you
A) needed practice or
B) didn't know what you were doing,
because you obviously do.

Speaking from my own experiences, practice is always a good thing.
Practice builds good habits.
Practice makes perfect, as my Dad used to say.

But I digress.

Maybe search all the online dealers for that little bead thing and buy up as many as you can.
Tackle direct
Tackle warehouse
Basspro
Cabelas
Gander Mt
Digital Dagger
Hatteras Outfitters
J&H Tackle

To name a few off the top of my head.

Good luck.

Ive looked online. The few that are available are selling at a buck a piece. For a buck a piece, Ill use the swivel and tie three knots.:)

Back