Carothers and Camping

It really is tough to beat! I have a 3 day float/camp trip in the Gunnison Gorge booked for early this summer. Should be epic, it’s a bucket list trip of mine. Will definitely take plenty of pictures! Also going to spend 4 days floating the Green River below Flaming Gorge Reservoir over the 4th. That red canyon is amazing!!! Haven’t been up there in 5 years, kids are really looking forward to it! TBH, so am I!!!

A few pics from last time:

View attachment 2094277

View attachment 2094278

View attachment 2094279
Nice. I used to guide on the Green upstream from FG, but those A,B & C sections below the dam sure are cool. It feels like a giant aquarium when you look 20' down into the river and see fish cruising around clear as day.

Have fun on the Gunnison, too! Looking forward to the pics.

Nice. I used to guide on the Green upstream from FG, but those A,B & C sections below the dam sure are cool. It feels like a giant aquarium when you look 20' down into the river and see fish cruising around clear as day.

Have fun on the Gunnison, too! Looking forward to the pics.
That’s cool! 😎 I have never fished or floated up there, always wanted to try the river below Fontanelle. We love the A section, it’s a beautiful float even if the fish aren’t cooperating. Probably my favorite place to fish overall. Been fishing there since about 1990 or 1991, and it sure has changed! We used to get at least one fish 23” or better, each, per day. There’s still a few around, but it’s rare to get one over 20” anymore. Still love it though!

Last time I floated B section in my boat, the hub on the driver’s side of my boat trailer grenaded itself on the way home, about 40-60 miles from the house, after about 400 miles on the highway (we had stopped for gas just before this, and the hubs were both barely warm to the touch). To this day, I still think that nasty road down to to takeout at Jarvie Ranch was to blame. I didn’t know anything was wrong until I was backing the trailer into the driveway, and the wheel looked off somehow. Upon getting out and looking at it, the hub was literally riding on just the stub axle, no bearings to be found, and when I jacked the trailer up, the tire literally fell over… :eek: Could have ended WAY worse!!! :poop:

Can’t wait for the Gunnison trip!!!

Found an old pic I had here from a camping/fishing trip out at a lake in Eastern Colorado in 2019. CPK included. :D

view

No pix of Carothers as this is from long ago on one of our annual Washington's Birthday climbs on Mt. Washington in the White Mountains of NH back in the day. (On one of those journeys, at least three people perished on the mountain from exposure and accidents related to the brutal conditions.)

IMG-1231.jpgIMG-1230.jpgIMG-1229.jpgIMG-1228.jpg

I’ve always enjoyed camping and it pairs nicely with guns and knives. I recently bought a camper for my truck that just blows my mind. It’s a new money pit for me but I honestly don’t mind. It’s my happy place. I’d love to see some other pictures of Carothers and camping and if you have any cool gear you want to sneak in as well that would be a bonus. You can’t see the DEK1 in the last picture because it’s on my hip in a sheath from Bill. View attachment 2093168
View attachment 2093170
View attachment 2093171
View attachment 2093172
Who made the sheath? That's a really nice one.

Who made the sheath? That's a really nice one.
Duramax! He makes some really nice sheaths. IMO, they are overbuilt but not in clunky way, but like a Ruger where it just feels solid and that it will last. I like them that way. I’ve got several from him that get anywhere from daily use to seldom use. He’s a great guy to work with and takes pride in his sheaths.

The highlights in orange are to compliment some orange liners I made for the FK2.

Yep, highest recorded wind speed (231mph) and lowest recorded wind chill (-108), and only ~6300ft high. Crazy

Considering that a lot of the mountains out west start from a base already a mile or more above sea level, the actual vertical rise of some of the eastern mountains are not too shabby. The highest mountains in the east are here in NC, and their base is at a much lower altitude.

Still, the western mountains are magnificent, and the ones in AK are more magnificent still in their majesty. I remember the first time I saw Foraker and Denali breaking out of the cloud cover and was pretty much "holy..."

The Wind Rivers will always be my first love as that's where I learned to climb.

Back