Carry in the Houston Area

I've gone through the law references but I've also come to know that there is the law and then there is how it's applied.

I'm moving to the Houston area next month and would like to know what if any problems I would have carrying a knife.

I usually carry one, some times two, tactical folders with blades between 3 and 4 inches long. I always carry with the knife attached inside my waist band using the pocket clip.

Thanks!

Unless Houston has a city ordinance against it you should be OK by state law.

Roshi - you might consider sending an email to some of our fellow members who live in Texas but don't frequent this particular forum (why would they? They have no laws to worry about ;)).

Off the top of my head I can think of -
bquinlan
SIFU1A

Hope that helps,

Matthew

In Houston, you'll want to carry the biggest doggone bowie knife you can lay your hands on, and some type of garden variety .45, as well. I know, I lived there for 11 years.

Hi,

Just happened upon this post. State law is 5.5 inches and under...ok. I believe there is a state law that cities can't pass more restrictive ordinances re: this kind of stuff. Probably should check with a lawyer, however...'cause I'm not positive. Just remember reading something about it...

In any event, I've never had any problems. We Houstonians like to protect ourselves...as you will find. I've posted this before...but...I'm a professor at a University in town. Our director of securtiy for the University once wrote in the school newspaper that firearms, per state law, were not allowed on campus. He went on to say that knives, however, were ok...as long as the blade was 5.5 inches or less.

Lately...I carry a couple of Griptillians (one right, one left)...or my Gunting (numbered...with the SILVER clip). If I can openly carry a silver clipped Gunting around...at a University...what does that tell you? I usually talk about Spyderco when I'm discussing product development (I'm a marketing prof). One semester...I ask if anybody's heard of Spyderco...and 3 or 4 women had them actually in their purses. Another woman pulled out a knife her Dad gave her to carry around for safety...a Boker automatic. Ah...Houston!

It's a great place...Houston. Get yourself a concealed carry permit too. Just try to stay inside during July and August.

Just a little story about that. I'd bought the two Griptillians last August for travel/beater knvies. I removed them from my pockets after one day in the Houston heat...rust on the Axis buttons. Yikes!

Thanks for the info. That means that the Camillus Max I have on order will work just fine!

I'll be in Houston on the 22nd and will be applying for a concealed carry permit as soon as I have a new driver's license.

As a Texas resident, I went to the state of texas web site concerning weapons laws. It states that a knife can have a blade of no more than 5 and 1/2 inches. As with many laws; ask 5 police officers and u get 5 different answers on what is legel and what is not. please forgive my spelling , thanks again

banditele speaks the truth.

If you join the Texas State Rifle Association...with your membership you will get a small pamphlet with the statutes relating to concealed carry, knives etc. I keep one of these in my briefcase...and one in each car. You would be surprised, or maybe not, at the number of LEO's who are clueless re: knives.

One thing that is not clear, however, is where knives are off-limits. I've looked and looked. I wouldn't carry one where there's a 51% sign (bars etc...that make over half their revenues from liquor sales)...but I carry mine everywhere else. At my place of work (a university) and when I'm at my son's school. School districts around me seem to have said no to knives for students...but there is no mention re: adults in their policies...that I've found.

I go right into places that say no weapons allowed...because by my reading...if it's less than 5 1/2 inches...it's not legally a weapon.

Seriously though...it's Texas... :D

Back