Carry while in Germany

alelser

Banned
I'll post this here first as it is a question about knife laws. However, the traffic is slow here, so if I don't get a response in a week or so, I'll repost over in General.

I'll be spending about 9 days over in Germany (mostly Bavaria) in early March, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what I could safely carry while there. I feel nekid w/o a knife in my pocket. I'm sure my Sebenzas will have to stay home, but how about a traditional slip-joint or SAK?

Thanks in advance,

-Al-

Will do everything possible to find the answer for you.

The following knife types are not allowed in Germany:

Automatic and gravity knives with a double edged blade and/or the blade is longer than 8,5 cm (3.35 inch) and/or the blade breadth is smaller than 14 % of the blade length.

Knives which make you think that it is not a knife, e. g.: swordcanes, knives which are hidden in a hairbrush, comb or lipstick.

Knives with a brass knuckles handle.

Ballistic knives.

Horus is right! That means you can take your Sebenzas.

The only thing where you have to be carefull is if you go to demonstrations (which you probably wont) and if you enter nightclubs, discos etc. because they might have their own rules concerning knives.

Horus and culter said it before!

all i want to add is my favorite advice:
when i went to foreign countries i dont matter
about bringing any knives there,
i like to go and buy a legal lokal knife there!

You will be strictly legal AND have a nice souvenir to bring home.

Just tell us where in Bavarian you will have time to visit a knifeshop and i would be glad trying to give you a adress.

Better put the knife(s) in your check-in baggage when flying in :cool: - besides this (just kidding) I think the posts above cover pretty much everything - just to add my 2 cents I think carrying a very large Crocodile Dundee style fixed blade in an agressive manner might raise some eyebrows though in the cities - and BTW - even autos are allowed when staying inside the limits Horus posted.

On a sidenote I want to mention that the current german government while also trying to put further thumb squeezes on hunters/shooters also plans to change the knife laws too - like limiting the autos to 7,5 instead of 8,5 cm and the width/length ratio to 1:20.

Regarding the proposed "buy a souvenir" - I would agree on that - SAKs are famous as such (just buy in whatever city you are - seems the shops in the airports are running in problems selling SAKs due to the 9/11 WTC issue) - but also german knifes out of famous old Solingen like from Boeker might be a lot cheaper in germany - and please nobody from germany flame me for mentioning Boeker - this was just an example :D

Klaus

Thanks, everyone! I most certainly plan on purchasing a knife while there, but I didn't want to be without until I found a shop.
Looks like I'll have my small Sebenza with me once out of the airport in Frankfurt.

Bigbore.45: Thanks for the offer! My plans have slightly changed, but here's a run-down of our itinerary:

Arrive in Frankfurt, early morning and drive to Rothenburg.
2 nights in Rothenburg.
Leave Rothenburg for Munich.
1 night in Munich.
Leave Munich for Fussen.
2 nights in Fussen.
Leave Fussen for Freiburg.
1 night in Freiburg.
Leave Freiburg for Frankfurt.
1 night in Frankfurt.
Leave Germany.

So it looks like Fussen and Rothenburg will be my best bet for finding time to visit cutlery stores. Any recommendations?

Thanks again, and I look forward to your reply,

-Al-

Hi Al,
there are just 2 cutlery stores in Füssen - (one is an army shop). they offer just average kind of knives, no customs so i think you are better off with your sebenza except if you are interested in the traditional but factory made hunting knives.
there are a few custom makers in the area but it might be a little difficult to find them and you will have to spend a lot of time to see the castles etc.
enjoy your stay!
greetings
Andy

Al,
sorrily i dont know one of the shops there,
just could give you Adresses from the "Böker-Catalog":

Rothenburg:

Die Waffenkammer
Obere Schmiedgasse 9
Tel: 09861-3713

F. Hörber
Obere Schmiedgasse 17
Tel: 09861-3173

Haus der 100 Geschenke
Obere Schmiedgasse 13
Tel: 09861-4801

Oberndorfer Gravuren
Kirchgasse 1
Tel: 09861-2882

looks like the "Obere Schmiedgasse" will be worth a look anyway, but it is a small town, and as i belive to remember "Oberndorfer Gravuren" as a traditional gunstore i would look for this too. :)

Thank you both for the replies! I'm sure that I will find something nice to bring back with me from one of the stores.

Thanks again,

-Al-

Al, I was over there in 1975-76, there were quite a few knife shops in Frankfurt. Plenty of nice autos for sale too.
And while you're there, pay no attention to those shops with the girls sitting in the windows, they're just being friendly :D
The first 3 words I learned there turned out to be the most important ones: Ein bier bitter.

One word of warning - a friend of mine flew to Germany a few months ago and didn't have any problems with her Kershaw Whirlwind while she was there, but she put it in her checked luggage when she flew back and it wasn't there when she arrived. Never could find out what happened to it, but she complained to the airline and they finally reimbursed her. If I were you I'd padlock all my checked luggage just to make sure that nothing disappears.

Thanks again, everyone!

We leave in a couple days, and I've decided to look for a more traditional slip-joint while there. I'm knid of hoping to find a wharncliff whittler in stag or mastodon ivory.

Who knows what I'll actually end up coming home with, but it for sure will be something (probably to include a set of new kitchen knives as well).

-Al-

Back