Carrying a traditional in Ireland

European knife laws are draconian.

I’ve been to Ireland a number of times though not very recently. I have been to Italy in the last couple years. The laws are much the same all throughout Europe. Still, I packed a small knife roll in my checked luggage without issue. Kitchen knives. Once in country I would carry a folder and use it discreetly. I never had a problem.

On other European vacations I would buy an Opinel or something similar at a street fair once in country. Every town has one.
I agree, though some EU countries have better knife laws than a lot of US states; been in Poland recently, was able to carry my Bugout around with no problem, though I legally could’ve carried a bowie knife on my hip, or even a sword or dagger if I wanted to, as none of these require any kind of arbitrary “justified reason” bs, and you can carry them pretty much everywhere (though discretion applies, so don’t carry a machete in a pub, not because it’s illegal, but because it’s weird; even still, you wouldn’t be able to do that in Texas pubs with any blade at all because of 51/49); same exact thing for Bulgaria, Austria and Czech Republic (in the latter you can even carry guns for self defense as a regular citizen, just like your average US red state, although CR ranks 6th on the global peace index; might give anti-gunners a bit of a headache); there may be more countries that follow these rules but these are the ones where absolutely anything goes. Then there’s some countries where you can carry knives without a justified reason, though only if such knives have certain features, such as a certain blade length/mechanism. Some of these countries are Germany, Portugal, UK (pre and post brexit), Switzerland and Hungary. And then the remaining countries are those where there are no exceptions of any kind and “lawful excuse” is required for carrying anything from a 2 inch blade SAK to a bowie knife. This is however the case with some US states too afaik, so I wouldn’t say the EU is completely “draconian” in that regard, as laws vary from county to country, going from unregulated, to fairly strict.

The quick and easy answer for me is Ireland will never see a dime of my tourist money. That said, I've been in lots of countries where I was probably in violation of their knife laws and just kept a low profile with out any problem. People here will tell you about all the total bans etc on knives in places like Mexico yet you can go to any public market and buy autos, daggers etc. I've also seen Spyderco's for sale in hardware stores down there. Knife laws tend to be used around the globe when cops want to stomp on somebody for a special reason. Don't give them one.
Love how these places with strict knife/gun laws like these are amongst the most violent in the world lol. Almost as if those laws only penalise law abiding citizens.

...... And then the remaining countries are those where there are no exceptions of any kind and “lawful excuse” is required for carrying anything from a 2 inch blade SAK to a bowie knife. ...
Some of what you describe as the"remaining countries" still have exceptions where you can carry, for example, non-locking folding knives of a certain length without lawful excuse. Sometimes what you find on the internet my not be accurate, the same way that most of the world seems to have the impression that you can carry any gun or knife anywhere in the US.

If you visit a country make sure you study their current legislation on knives.

Some of what you describe as the"remaining countries" still have exceptions where you can carry, for example, non-locking folding knives of a certain length without lawful excuse. Sometimes what you find on the internet my not be accurate, the same way that most of the world seems to have the impression that you can carry any gun or knife anywhere in the US.

If you visit a country make sure you study their current legislation on knives.
Which ones would those be? Genuinely asking as afaik the ones I mentioned are all the ones with the “exception” rule. If you’re referring to some Balkan countries then I’m afraid my knowledge/care for their legislation sorta stops there lol. Also the baltic countries are also fairly loose in terms of legislation, similarly to the first four.

I know, for example, Cyprus allows you (in law) to carry a folding knife up to 4" with no need to justify it.
With fixed/locking blades you need to have a valid reason you need them.

As you mentioned, there are others. I think in very few the carrying of any small blade, like a Victorinox Classic SD, will be forbidden.

I know, for example, Cyprus allows you (in law) to carry a folding knife up to 4" with no need to justify it.
With fixed/locking blades you need to have a valid reason you need them.

As you mentioned, there are others. I think in very few the carrying of any small blade, like a Victorinox Classic SD, will be forbidden.
France and the Benelux countries also have some exceptions regarding mechanism/length. Well, in “very few”, I can tell you with certainty that here in Italy you need a justified reason for anything from a SAK to a machete, as they’re both treated the same way. The same goes for Spain, Greece, Denmark, Sweden, Finland and Norway, so I wouldn’t say they’re very few, nor that Europe is necessarily this tyrannical entity when it comes to knife laws, as they largely vary from country to country, pretty much almost as much as they do between different states in the US.

I said something similar a few posts above, regarding non uniformity of rules/laws

France and the Benelux countries also have some exceptions regarding mechanism/length. Well, in “very few”, I can tell you with certainty that here in Italy you need a justified reason for anything from a SAK to a machete, as they’re both treated the same way. The same goes for Spain, Greece, Denmark, Sweden, Finland and Norway, so I wouldn’t say they’re very few, nor that Europe is necessarily this tyrannical entity when it comes to knife laws, as they largely vary from country to country, pretty much almost as much as they do between different states in the US.
A few years ago I was at the Norwegian Knifemaker's summer show in Elverum. The head of the association asked me what kind of knife I was carrying so I pulled out my Swiss Army Farmer. He wasn't impressed and said something about he expected something better from an American. All the Norwegians were carrying their short tollekniv sheath knives so there must be some exceptions to their laws.

Back