carrying in Los Angeles, CA

kamagong

Gold Member
I know that state law does not restrict folder length here in California. I'm wondering if there are any restrictions though on the length in Los Angeles. The reason why I'm asking is that I'm going to take a class at one of the local universities during the summer, and it's not exactly located in the safest neighborhood. Thanks for the help.

The Los Angeles County Code and the City Municipal Code contain nearly identical provisions barring open carry of knives with blades of 3 or more inches. I found the provisions using a search engine like Yahoo but, unfortunately, didn't keep the reference. If you can't locate them and want to read them, e-mail me at swsurgical@hotmail.com and I'll try to find these sections again.

The local laws contain exceptions for legitimate recreational and vocational uses of knives with larger blades, but I wouldn't want to rely on those unless I had a really solid argument.

You may also need to research the university regulations, as they have further restrictions.

Best of luck,

DPD

So open carry is restricted? What about concealed? I don't carry openly, as I draw more attention than I'm comfortable with, even though it's legal. If concealed carry is fine, I may just pack my D2 Sifu once that comes in...
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the help.

Here's what I could find from LA county from http://www.ordlink.com/codes/lacounty/maintoc.htm

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">13.62.010 Knives and daggers defined.

As used in this chapter, the terms "knives and daggers" shall include any knife having a blade of three inches or more in length; any spring-blade, switch-blade or snap-blade knife; any knife any blade of which is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device; any ice pick or similar sharp stabbing tool; any straight-edge razor or any razor blade fitted to a handle. (Ord. 11915 § 1, 1979.)

13.62.020 Carrying knives and daggers in plain view prohibited.

It is unlawful for any person to carry on his person, in plain view, any knife or dagger. (Ord. 11915 § 2, 1979.)

13.62.030 Exemptions to chapter applicability.

The foregoing restrictions shall not be deemed to prohibit the carrying of ordinary tools or equipment for use in a lawful occupation or for the purpose of lawful recreation, or where the carrying of a knife or dagger is a recognized religious practice. (Ord. 11915 § 3, 1979.)

13.62.040 Violation -- Penalty.

Any person violating this chapter is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not exceeding $500.00 or by imprisonment in the County Jail for a period not exceeding six months, or by both such fine and imprisonment. (Ord. 11915 § 4, 1979.)</font>

I'd just carry the Sifu concealed.

------------------
Jason aka medusaoblongata
-----------------------
"Is not giving a need? Is not receiving mercy?" - Thus Spoke Zarathustra
"Cutting his throat is only a momentary pleasure and is bound to get you talked about." - Lazarus Long
"Knowledge is not made for understanding; it is made for cutting." - Michel Foucault

I have asked several LEOs about the "open carry" language and they (somehow) interpret it to include concealed carry in public. They add that if you ever take the knife out of your pocket to use it, there is no question that it will then be carried openly. I don't agree with their reading of the statute, but I have not yet attempted to locate any court decisions which definitively interpret that language.

In any event, even if our interpretation of the statute is correct and wins in court, you may be forced to expend a lot of money defending yourself. Furthermore, recovering your confiscated knife will be nearly impossible from what I have heard.

I wonder if it would be possible to get an opinion letter from the County Counsel or City Attorney addressing the question of concealed carry of blades 3 inches or longer?

DPD

Thanks Jason. I think that I'll just carry the Sifu, concealed of course. 13.62.030 says that "The foregoing restrictions shall not be deemed to prohibit the carrying of ordinary tools or equipment for use in a lawful occupation..." I'm not a criminal, so I should be okay.

Back