carrying knives in california

I’ve read as much as I can on the general knife laws in California, and from what I understand (correct me if I’m wrong) you can carry any folding knife, concealed or not, as long as it’s not in its locked position (excluding bali songs, switchblades, etc.). one can also carry any fixed blade as long as it’s visible and sheathed. But different cities have produced laws prohibiting open carry of knives. My questions are: Where can I find out what those cities are? (I live in long beach and have heard about la, Glendale and San Francisco)
does this also affect concealed carry of a folder? I hope this is the right forum for this, if not please direct me to the appropriate one. Thanx
-matt

[This message has been edited by mdavis (edited 23 October 1999).]

OK, there's a CA law thread going on right now in the main forum. It's the one where Vampire Gerbil gave directions to "Community". Do me a favor, go there and post this question. It's better to keep it all in one place.

Preview though: there IS no easy way to get the info. Ask any three cops on the same department, you'll get three answers. The DAs are scarcely better. IF you can ge the city attorney's office to talk to you, they've probably got the best line on it.

But in addition, there's the matter of "how often is it being enforced"? I know that in SF it's a joke, in Berkeley it ain't. I'm a NorCal guy, try James Mattis for more details on the SoCal scene.

My personal answer is that I'll carry the Sifu concealed anywhere in the state other than courthouses, cophouses, airports and K-12 schools. But I *always* have a sheeple-friendly cutting tool such as my Gerber Multipliers, and for any utility use THAT is what comes out.

Megafolders are highly likely to cause sheeple freakout. Stay smart, guys.

Jim

thanx jim,
i've been reading the topic on the general
forum and will copy this post there.
you seem to know you stuff when it comes to
knife carry. i used to be a norcal resident,
but now am socal. i also work in a high school, so my workdays are rather knifeless.
thanx again,
-matt

Back