Carrying tool bits for Leatherman Charge?

I love my leatherman charge and carry it clipped in my pocket daily. However, the plastic holder for the tool bits is not really pocket friendly. It doesn't hold the bits very well and doesn't offer any protection for their sharp edges. It's also very stiff and not really comfortable to pocket.

Has anyone come up with an alternative way to carry the bits if you don't use the sheath?

Thanks!

Thought I'd give this a bump.

Am I really the only person who carries a charge clipped? (Or am I just the only one who cares about the tool bits? :) )

buy a cybertool ;)

(sorry, no answer for your question.)

I wear it clipped daily - but without the bits ;)

I have thought about putting the bits in the small pocket above the right front pocket in a pair of jeans (I don't know the exact english word for what the pocket is called - I'm danish :p ), but so far I've managed to go without - not missing them.
When I go for some occasion where there's a change I'm in need of the bits, I'll wear the Leatherman sheath.

Regards
Claus

That plastic bit holder is designed to slip into the elastic sleeve at the back of the main pocket in the sheath.....oh wait - I just read your post more closely - you aren't into the sheath. I'm sure there is some small plastic container/nick nack box that they could be carried loose in.

roloss_valdes said:
Make a little pocket pouch ( SackUp ) for the bits.

Like the one that UnknownVT use for his Victorinox.

You can see it here ....

Yeah, I think that's what I'm going to end up doing.

And Claus, I have no idea what that pocket is officially called either. I usually keep coins in there, but no doubt, its originally intended purpose was probably more interesting. :)

FitzSimmons said:
Yeah, I think that's what I'm going to end up doing.

And Claus, I have no idea what that pocket is officially called either. I usually keep coins in there, but no doubt, its originally intended purpose was probably more interesting. :)

Historicaly, it is called a watch pocket. (for a pocket watch)

Somewhere through my knife dealing over the years I ended up with one of the Chris Reeve Sebenza calfskin pouch. This is the large one but imagine the small would be ok also. The pouch is a perfect fit for the bit holder and should keep everything contained. I will use a sheath in most instances and don't see me edc'ing the Charge pocket wise. Give me an email with your shipping address and I'll send the pouch your way. :D :D :D

the bit kit comes with a sheath for the bits, and the fit of the holder for the tools (theres 2 of them (lots of bits in the bit kit)) is much tighter

you could iether just slip the sheath with the bit kit into your pocket, or cary it on your belt, with your leatherman still clipped to your pocket

since you can successfully carry both of the holders that come with the bit kit in the nylong leatherman sheath, im sure there are several people who have a bit kit sheath thats not doing anything (including me)

im sure that if you put up a "wanted" sign in the wanted section of bladeforums, youd get a response for one of them

toollogic_varcussaw_leatheman_bitkit_case.jpg

its a really flat sheath that would sit well in the pocket, allbeit that it would create a hot spot on your leg from the added padding in your pocket. but then, my pants weigh 9 lbs right now with all the gear i carry, so i wouldnt know :cool: :D

I just wanted to thank everyone for their replies and a very special thanks to Art for mailing me his pouch! :) What a great community this is!

I've been meaning to post a pic of the Sabenza case artsig sent me together with the bit holder. I finally got to taking some pictures this weekend. You can see the case right underneath the holder in my EDC pic on top. (This is a pic of what's in my regular non-cargo pockets. What I carry in my cargo pockets would require its own thread. :D)

The case works great and the whole thing fits easily next to my wallet -- it's all very flat.

Thanks again Art!

edc1.jpg

Maybe, you should carrie them in your wallet! just like you I carrie my Wave 2004 each day but than holsterd, its really funny I asked myself the same question just like my Wave I carrie my wallet always withe me! :p

Put your bitset in one of your sleeves of your wallet which origianally contain your creditcard, or bankcard, if that shoud'nt fit try one of the bigger compartments of your wallet!

Hope I gave you a good option!

Greetings from Holland,

the Wave dude!

I think the bits would chew up my wallet and everything in it. Are you using the stock bit holder or just carrying them loose?

In refenence to your EDC problems and any problems carrying all the equipment that everone does on a reqular basis, has anyone considered one of these: http://www.niteize.com/productdetail.php?category_id=28&product_id=63 I was surprised to see how much everyone carries with them on a regular basis! I am well aware that one would tend to feel a little "silly" with something that large on their belt, but it might just be the solution you are looking for. Lots of room for everything. Just a thought...

-Bill

Billbeme said:
In refenence to your EDC problems and any problems carrying all the equipment that everone does on a reqular basis, has anyone considered one of these: http://www.niteize.com/productdetail.php?category_id=28&product_id=63 I was surprised to see how much everyone carries with them on a regular basis! I am well aware that one would tend to feel a little "silly" with something that large on their belt, but it might just be the solution you are looking for. Lots of room for everything. Just a thought...

-Bill

I've got one of these and it is perfect for my Supertool, MiniMaglite and 6" adjustable crescent wrench (or pruning shears, depending) with room for more. Truly, I would want to own a Niteize Pockit even if I had nothing to put in it! This outfit has been my constant companion while working on projects or maintenance and always comes with me when traveling. For EDC, though, it is too much, my conclusion after a few weeks trial.

While in the fondling phase ;) with my new Charge, I was curious to see how it would fit into the Niteize. Not so good, I concluded. Problem was that the Charge burrows low and tight into the knife pocket, not as grab-able as a Supertool. I tried several ways but coudn't pull out the Charge easily enough with any of them. Also, because of the tight fit, faster wear on the fabric is probable.

This is no problem for me because I like my current arrangements. Since the Supertool is more substantial, it's a better piece to have when expecting the possibility of needing one, and in that case, other tools might also come in handy. All are carried so well in the Pockit as to be almost, but not completely, disregarded until needed. OTOH, with almost the same capabilities as its larger stablemate, a Charge clips every day into my pocket to be completely forgot about when not in hand. Therefore, I am so happy.

The Niteize product is an excellent, well designed, well made, wear resistant belt pouch, but maybe not for a Charge.

Or, try it out. You might find differently than I about the access issue.

FitzSimmons said:
Thought I'd give this a bump.

Am I really the only person who carries a charge clipped? (Or am I just the only one who cares about the tool bits? :) )
Hi, well i live in vancovuer b.c. and i'm 15. I carry the Ti cliped alot because since i'm kinda under age i don't want everyone to see it in my sheath and i never carryed the bits before! You could get a small zip log bag(not sure how to spell it) and and put all the bits in there if you wanted. Oh yeah, did you get all the bits in the stock holder!!!? when i got minde it only came with 1/4 of the bits!

I carry my Charge TI clipped in my pocket where ever I go. It is to heavy in the sheath,(leather), with the bits for EDC. When fishing I keep the bit holder in my tacklebox. I use it for something, big or small, every day. I am going to get the nylon sheath because I think it will be signifigantly lighter than the leather. Has anyone compared the difference? I still would probably wear it clipped most of the time though.

Back