Carson Mid Tech Model 4 frame lock

Some of you may have heard that Kit is coming out with a mid tech version of his popular Model 4 folder for quite some time now. Well, Kit finally got the prototype finished, and he sent me pictures and specs on it and said it wasa OK to get the word out.

These folders will be assembled and fine tuned by Kit, Mike Obenauf, and Jody [Kit's son].

Here are the specs, in Kit's words:

Medium Model 4 Framelock with grooves and holes

3.5” .145 thick S30V blade. Other steels and Stellite offered.

.156 6/4 Ti sideplates

Half backspacer, Micarta

Tip down carry (cause of the thumb ramp)

Stonewashed finish, other finishes, including DLC coating are offered.

4.5 (+/-) ounces

Pricing and availability have not yet been decided on, so please refrain from inquiring about these, especially if you email, er...bug, Kit about this :D

He will have the prototype with him at the Blade Show, for those who are going and are interested in checking it out closely.

OK, I know you're wanting me to shut up and get the pics going, so here they are. The line to get one forms behind me :D

WOW! That's certainly different. I'd be all over that (pending the price). I wonder what other steels will be available? I'd like to see a mid-tech in CPM S90V, that would ROCK!!!

Thanks for the pics, Dex.

Originally posted by wire edge
WOW! That's certainly different. I'd be all over that (pending the price). I wonder what other steels will be available? I'd like to see a mid-tech in CPM S90V, that would ROCK!!!

Kit is still tossing around what other blade materials to use, so it'll get better from here! Stay tuned, this train is gathering steam.

Another pic, clip side this time:

Awesome. Been looking for a 3.5" bladed framelock. The one thing I'd whine about is the blade -- why the goofy drop point instead of his handsome clip point?

Joe

Joe,

The knife will be offered with drop point, modified drop point, spear point, and clip point. You got a pretty good selection there. I like the drop point on the proto. I would also like a clip point.

I'll take 2 in 6K please :D

I've been begging Kit to sell me the proto. Hasn't worked yet. I need to hit the local liquor store and stock up on good Scotch. I'll convince him yet!

I can't wait to handle this proto at Blade. I want at least one as soon as they hit the market. I've been waiting for this since Kit told me about the project. I've been begging for a framelock for over year, now I finally will have a chance to get one.

JR

Jeremy, that's the best news I've heard today! The clip point looks too cool. It's from Kit, I'm sure it'll be top-notch.

Joe

Excellent! A real contender to another mid-tech Ti framelock out there.

OK Dex, I won't bug Kit, so I will ask you. Will any micarta handled liner locks be produced?

Thanks.

Very cool! I like the blade shape of the proto just fine. Looks really strong. Can't wait to hear more about these.

Sorry for not posting in sooner. Blade show is just too close.

Mid tech is probably a bad term for this project. I think a collaboration would describe it better. The titanium handles and most of the blade steel (S30V) will be laser cut. All the CNC work, fitting, grinding, heat treating, and other machine work will be done by myself, my son Jody, or my son in law Mike Obenauf, both accomplished knifemakers.

The plan is to offer every blade style that I normally offer (clip point, drop point, modified drop point, and double ground spear point). We also plan to offer the same variety of blade steels and Stellite that I use now. The primary finish will be stonewashed but we'll still offer ceramic bead blast, satin, and hopefully DLC from Bodycote.

I'll have the 3 in the picture finished and with me at the Blade show, along with more details of price and how soon they will be available.

Thanks for looking.

Since this is a midtech, I'm guessing that it's a bit cheaper than a regular Model 4. I may be like Jeremy and get myself a Stellite in either drop point or clip point.:D

I have already told Kit I want one with a clip point and As he has posted all the steels he uses should be available. I also did tell Kit he could call the new line Mengel if he wants..:)

I'm not even picky on the blade shape. I prefer 6k, but I'll take any steel. I just NEED one of those framelocks NOW. I wonder if a case of Scotch will do the trick...
JR

That looks pretty 'spiffy'! (now, of course, if you end up calling it the 'Spiffy', you'll have to give me a discount...lol)

Anyhoo, a pretty sweet design I'd say!

Dex, thanks for sharing the pics! Well done,

Mel

Paul,
Sorry for taking so long to respond. 2 days and a wake up and the Blade show will be upon me :)
Yes, a smaller version is in the plans but our intent is to just do one style at a time, so it might be awhile.
I hope to have the clip point and spearpoint fighter pics up sometime tomorrow, but don't hold me to it.
Hope to see you all at the Blade show.

Kit,

How much Scotch would I need to offer to get a lefty? :D ;)

Originally posted by Geode

OK Dex, I won't bug Kit, so I will ask you. Will any micarta handled liner locks be produced?

I doubt he has any micarta handled liner locks in the plans. The reason why the knives are ti integral locks is that they usea CNC mill to put the grooves in the handle. There's little hand work involved with the handles.

Originally posted by K.V. Collucci
Kit,

How much Scotch would I need to offer to get a lefty? :D ;)

I exchanged an email with Kit on this. He said it wouldn't be that hard it just comes down to demand. I put my name down on the list for a Lefty.:D
Mike

Well folks, I just returned from Atlanta.

I finally got to handle the prototype framelocks. They are simply amazing. By far one of the absolute nicest utility folders I have ever laid my hands on. Everything is Carson quality, and those of you who own his knives know what a great compliment that is.

I am now the proud owner of the handmade prototype for this framelock design. It is very smooth, outstanding lock up as well.

The prototype has the stonewash finish. I was skeptical about this at first, cause I have some of Kit's knives in ceramic peen and I love the ceramic. This stonewash is amazing. It looks very very good and is easy to maintain. I think it will be a hit.

I talked to Kit about the lefties, as my dad is a lefty and wants a left handed knife. There will be a run of lefties, but I didn't ask how many. If you want a lefty, you better let him know pretty soon.

JR

Back