CAS Hanwei Tactical Katana or......

Im in the market a user katana/wakizashi type sword. Im debating on either the Hanwei Tactical Katana which seems like a heck of a deal OR saving up a little more and going with something such as the Swamp Rat waki. Im wanting something that can take a beating and we all know the swamp rat reputation for that. Would the Hanwei hold up, durability wise, anywhere near the Swamp rats durability? From my experience, 5160 steel is very durable if heat treated properly and its my understanding thats whats being used by Hanwei. Another issue I have is I would prefer something with blade around 28" inches which I dont think is offered by SwampRat, Busse or Scrapyard. Maybe I should also consider a custom built, not sure. I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks

I have the Tactical WAKI... It's built like a brick, and the balance is great. It didn't come particularly sharp, but other than that, it's VERY well made.

I love it, and with the full tang construction, i'd be willing to bet that it would hold up to anything i'd ever do to it. Of course, i don't cut bricks with my swords, so YMMV

I doubt it will hold up as well as the Swamp Rat Waki. But it's a very durable blade, and I don't think you'll find a better value. If you're looking for something to use and abuse, it's a very good choice.

The two things I'd remark are that the plasma coating scratches easily, and the first versions, at least, the fiberglass saya is often pretty loose. Hanwei is reportedly fixing that though.

Customs are a good choice if you can afford, but the Hanwei Tactical line is excellent at the price.

I have the Tactical WAKI... It's built like a brick, and the balance is great. It didn't come particularly sharp, but other than that, it's VERY well made.

I love it, and with the full tang construction, i'd be willing to bet that it would hold up to anything i'd ever do to it. Of course, i don't cut bricks with my swords, so YMMV

dcp_1806.jpg

;)

i would LOVE to see pics of the edge of that katana after that little experiment... i'm impressed sir

I remember the story behind that photo, but the details are a bit fuzzy. Either it involved photoshop or a broken brick being propped up and the other bit being chucked in the air for the pic. Either way, it's not "real". ;):thumbup:

I remember the story behind that photo, but the details are a bit fuzzy. Either it involved photoshop or a broken brick being propped up and the other bit being chucked in the air for the pic. Either way, it's not "real". ;):thumbup:

Buzz Killington strikes again!

Shucks, that could have played for a few more posts at least. The edge of the blade was completely unaffected by the picture. It was a real brick and a real sword but as you note, the brick was propped up and the piece tossed into the field of the shot.

Cheers

GC

Shucks, that could have played for a few more posts at least. The edge of the blade was completely unaffected by the picture. It was a real brick and a real sword but as you note, the brick was propped up and the piece tossed into the field of the shot.

Cheers

GC

Thats some good stuff. Sounds like some crap I'd try to pull :D

The more I think about it guys, the more I'm considering the idea of making my own. What I really want is basic. I know I can cut and shape the metal with the ideas in my head. Isn't that all I would really need then send it off to an expert for a quality heat treating? Im thinking a 1/4" x 1 1/4" by 40" piece of 5160 would work for what I have in mind. Ya think?

I had a Swamp Rat Waki for a while. I did like it, but found that it's best quality made it not such a good sword. It is tough as hell, you won't breat the tang on that, and the whole thing is made very well. If you want to chop stuff up, beat up a sword, then go for the Waki.
But, if what you want is a balance, "alive" feel in hand, and an extension of your will, I say there are better short swords out there. For example, Swamp Rat now makes the Ruki. The shorter handle has got to change the balance point, lighten up the whole thing, and puts makes it a one handed sword. The waki doesn't know if it's a two handed sword(blade is too short for a two handed swing, felt akward), or if it's a one handed sword (too heavy overall, and choking up put the butt into your forearm).
I've not held the Ruki, but I'd look at that before the Waki. I'm sure it's built just as well.

Buzz Killington strikes again!

Cheers

GC

Hee hee--sorry horseclover--I keep forgetting that you're part of the old SFI crowd. :D

Any chance you guys with the Hanwei tactical can tell me the thickness of the spine?

When i get home i can... until then, i can tell you that it's PLENTY thick... my Musashi has a slightly thicker spine, but not by much at all

UCPOPO: Making your own isn't easy, but it's possible. Wally Hayes has an excellent video on making a full-tang tactical katana, the techniques in which could be used to make many types of blades. He uses 1050 steel and a water quench. 5160 is a great, very tough steel that you can heat treat yourself, but you need to quench it in oil. It's a little more difficult to get a nice curve since oil makes steels bend in the wrong direction.

- Chris

UCPOPO: Making your own isn't easy, but it's possible. Wally Hayes has an excellent video on making a full-tang tactical katana, the techniques in which could be used to make many types of blades. He uses 1050 steel and a water quench. 5160 is a great, very tough steel that you can heat treat yourself, but you need to quench it in oil. It's a little more difficult to get a nice curve since oil makes steels bend in the wrong direction.

- Chris

did someone say Recurve Katana? I think that's what i heard... :)

I hear ya. I'll likely order a Hanwei just for the heck of it. I just cant see dropping $500-$1000 on a Swamp Rat, Busse, or Scrapyard for a beater sword that likely may never get used ;)

if you order the Hanwei, i'm willing to be you'll be about $350 more likely to USE it...

i find that the likelihood of using a given blade is indirectly proportional to the value (perceived or actual) of that blade.

The rodent ruki is real lively, just got one and I'm quite pleased. Only a 15" blade though...

Back