Case 06247PEN "Premium Jack" (From A Premium Friend)

Blues

hovering overhead
Staff member
Super Mod
This thread is kind of about a Case knife, a Winchester and the spirit that pervades this forum and the larger community of knife collectors that gather hereabouts as well as at shows.

While at the Blade Show a week or so back, I had the good fortune of spending time with several friends from the forum, one of whom was our own redoubtable Waynorth. Charlie, as you all know has a collection that is beyond enviable and has forgotten more about vintage knives than I'll ever hope to know. As a result, you can understand why it was so much fun to walk the aisles of the show examining a variety of knives that are so many pieces of our history.

With Charlie's acumen to assist me, I was fortunate to purchase a very nice old Winchester (model 2923) double-end Premium Jack. (Circa 1919-1940)

I liked the pattern so much due to its being built on a stockman frame but with only one backspring. Thin and light, yet featuring enough knife for most any task, the knife is eminently pocketable. (And sharp as all get out.)

Some months ago, forum member Slade (Zip7) had introduced me to the Case 06247 (also known as 06247PEN) pattern which is very similar to the Winchester Premium Jack in that it offers a double-end knife in a stockman frame with just the one backspring. I decided I needed to get my hands on one.

I sent an email off to Charlie to ask if he had any of the 06247's in his collection and while awaiting his reply over the weekend I placed a bid on a couple on ebay. Won one, lost one. (The one I did win should be enroute shortly.)

Anyway, Charlie being who he is...Mr. French,...I mean Santa, well I guess I mean Waynorth, decided to generously and unilaterally send one of these wonderful knives from "waynorth" to "mid-south" and his unexpected and very much appreciated gift arrived today.

All of which once again goes toward proving that as much as it's about the knives, it's even more about the people. Charlie, I'm touched and honored to have you as a friend (and guide).

What follows are images of the 1980 10 Dot 06247PEN followed by some images of the knife alongside the aforementioned Winchester for comparison purposes. The Case knife is 3 7/8" and 2.25 oz. The Winchester 4" and 2 oz.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Nice side by sides, Blues. I thought you'd enjoy comparing them. There's a lot of subtle difference between the old and newer ways of making pocketknives.

Hi Charlie.

The Winchester is a much thinner, sleeker animal than the Case and that fact is belied by the mere 1/4 oz. difference in weight .

The scales of the Case are much thicker and (as you say) there are obvious differences in the workmanship, fit and finish between the two knives.

Makes me wish I could have been around to appreciate these older knives back in the day when they were widely available for a song. The quality is astounding.

Nice looking knives! Are both blades on the same back spring? I have a Case 06244, and a 32087, and I love having 2 blades in such a thin compact package. Joe

Nice looking knives! Are both blades on the same back spring? I have a Case 06244, and a 32087, and I love having 2 blades in such a thin compact package. Joe

Yessir, Joe, they are. :thumbup: :cool:

Very pretty bone on both knives Elliott. :thumbup:
-Vince

One heck of a deed. Thank you for making this community so great.
And them are some really nice knives.

Peter

True the knives are the thing we have in common, but those are material....
The people on here have lots of stories and knowledge to share, which I think is far more valuable. Friendships aren't something that can be bought.

That being said, those are both very nice. But I REALLY like that early Winchester.
It got me to thinking.... Is there anything thats being made today, that in 100 years from now, people will say, "I sure wish they made quality like they did in 2008" ?....

I think you will find that the 1970's (pre-1978 or so) version of that pattern is sleeker and slimmer than the 1980's version.

this one is in my pocket right now...

06247-2.jpg

Slade, the one inbound from ebay is a 1973 7 Dot and I'll hopefully have it by next week sometime.

I'll post an image of it alongside the 1980 10 Dot for comparison when it arrives.

Thanks for the info and for bringing this particular pattern to my attention to begin with. :thumbup: :cool:

I have to admit I hadn't payed a lot of attention to the pen knives, but now that the pic was posted showing the single spring, and how slender they really are :D.......

Mike,

The secondary blade is a pen but the knife itself isn't a pen knife since it's built on a 3 7/8" frame. The pattern itself would be considered a double-end Premium Jack.

Mike,

The secondary blade is a pen but the knife itself isn't a pen knife since it's built on a 3 7/8" frame. The pattern itself would be considered a double-end Premium Jack.

Thanks for the clarify Elliott.

That makes it even more intersting. Slim and 3 7/8"... :D

Looks like I'll be off to the bay to do a little serachin when I get home from work tonight. If I find a nice one and get outbid I'll know who it was lol.....

Don't worry, it won't be me. ;)

Make sure to look for 06247, 06247PEN & 6247PEN.

Good luck and let us know how you make out. If you do win one, c'mon back with impressions and pix if you're inclined.

Don't worry, it won't be me. ;)

Make sure to look for 06247, 06247PEN & 6247PEN.

Good luck and let us know how you make out. If you do win one, c'mon back with impressions and pix if you're inclined.

Thanks for the model numbers, I appreciate it. Will do with the pics if I win something...

I think I'll have the wife call and schedule an appointment next week with a "Shrink"... I was doing really good with this knife thing, FOR ABOUT A WEEK :confused:

The 1973 "7 Dot" just arrived. Nice red bone and blades in nice unused, unsharpened condition. Not dead mint but worth what I paid.

No real difference in size vs. the 1980 version. Maybe a 100th or two difference in width across the scales and 1/8 oz. in weight.

Here's some images of the knife itself and then with the red bone 6347 (1977 3 Dot) and the 1980 06247PEN.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Three knives is definitely a collection! Nice bunch, Elliott! Tell me, is the 1980 10 dot "squarer" in the handle? Not shaped as "round" along the length?

Back