Case and Queen 100% U.S.A. ?

Also IMO the closest thing I've seen to deception is the Owl Head Brand knives listed on Ebay. They are tang stamped "Munich Germany", the Ram's Horn Sowbelly pattern is exactly the same as a Chinese S&W I own.

It's not a bad knife , but I don't think it's made in Germany.

I gotta admit, I am suspect of some Owl Heads I have handled also, particularly the Sowbelly you mention. I have both a S&W one and a Taylor/Schrade 129OT Sowbelly, and they are virtually identical to some Owl Heads with the same handles.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that Owl Heads parts are made in China but "assembled" in Germany, but can't recall where????

Ok since we are on this topic here is a trivia question for you guys.....

True or False

Case at one time had some cutlery products made in Japan, and so marked. Not accessories, sharpeners, or sheaths, but actual items of cutlery.

I just got off the phone with Tom Arrowsmith. During the 1980's when American Brands owned Case just before Parker bought it, Case had some kitchen knife blades made in Japan. There has never been a Case pocket knife made with any Japanese parts. I got this from the horses mouth.

... and I was going to say no. :D

Thank Tony. My bet is that they were decent knives, just have not seen one.

See ya in a few weeks,

Gus

I just got off the phone with Tom Arrowsmith. During the 1980's when American Brands owned Case just before Parker bought it, Case had some kitchen knife blades made in Japan. There has never been a Case pocket knife made with any Japanese parts. I got this from the horses mouth.

Yes never pocket knives or pocket knife parts - that is why I was careful to say "cutlery products".

Actually I had never seen or heard of the kitchen knife blades made in Japan.

I was referring to scissors - again mid-80's some Case scissors were made in Japan and were clearly marked as such.

Rprocter,where is the thread you are talking about that makes the claim that german companies are selling knives that are made in china, with blades stamped germany.

see "Bulldog and Hen & Rooster questions", this forum. a very interesting read with some very knowledgeable input.

As far as I know, the bone and stag for handles are also imported. I believe that bone for Case handles has always been imported from South America. Delrin was used a lot in the 1970's to replace bone because bone imports were slowed due to hoff and mouth disease in South America.

...do you all know why the bone comes from S.American cattle and not our own?

What I've read in several knife books is that the Argentinean cattle shin bones are thicker and denser than American cattle bones. The Argentinean cattle live on much rougher rangeland and are afforded much less care than American cattle, so they grow slower and are tougher. Sort of like slow growth lumber being better than fast grown. I believe that most of the American cattle bones are ground up for bone meal products and fertilizer and such.

Even if they weren't (ground up, that is) the "slow growth" analogy is probably correct: With the hormones and steroids previously mentioned, the bones of our cattle probably aren't dense enough. I can easily imagine a sort of Bovine osteoporosis based on chemical intake. Sorta makes you wonder about the meat. :barf: At least it's not Chinese wheat gluten...

-- Sam

As stated above, Case knives are 100% made in the USA except a few made in Germany and marked as such. There regular line of pocket knives are made in Bradford, Pa. I have spent sereral days in the last 9 years milling around out in that plant talking to the work people and seen them doing it. It is something they take pride in. If they were made in China I wouldn't be involved with them PS I buy Ford trucks.

The majority of so called "American" vehicles are made in Mexico and Canada. Even the Ford F-Series are made in Mexico and Canada.

More Honda's, Toyota's, and Hyundai's are made in America than you think.

*in case you didn't already know that you were buying a non-American made Ford truck.*

I gotta admit, I am suspect of some Owl Heads I have handled also, particularly the Sowbelly you mention. I have both a S&W one and a Taylor/Schrade 129OT Sowbelly, and they are virtually identical to some Owl Heads with the same handles.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that Owl Heads parts are made in China but "assembled" in Germany, but can't recall where????

I doubt if they would be assembled in Germany, it would be far too expensive!

I just suspect that Owl Head is a Chinese copy pure and simple, as for Munich being stamped on the blades (surely it would be Munchen ?) that's absurd, it has no cutlery tradition.

Slightly off thread, isn't it the case that older German knives pre 91 would be stamped W.Germany or BRD to distinguish from the former E.Germany DDR? Reason I ask is that the Weidmannheil you see advertised are all sold as pre-91 knives as the company was meant to have folded then.So wouldn't they be stampred W.Germany or BRD not Germany? Any German member care to comment?

So Kerry... What's the real answer?

-- Sam

South American cattle bone is more dense, as was mentioned. Case and other companies use the best bone they can find and if they don't find it here.:grumpy: It probably has something to do with the accellerated growth required by our cattle industry.

I have a Case Tiny Toothpick tang stamped ATS-34.

It's a couple of years old, but I was under the impression that ATS-34 was not an American made steel.
Or maybe it was manufactured by some American companies at some point, I honestly don't know.

I have a Case Tiny Toothpick tang stamped ATS-34.

It's a couple of years old, but I was under the impression that ATS-34 was not an American made steel.
Or maybe it was manufactured by some American companies at some point, I honestly don't know.

ATS-34...Japanese, 154Cm...American

Same steel, Case knives are overwhelmingly made in America, but they do occasionally use handle and in the case of limited run ATS-34 blades, parts from other countries.

there are knives on ebay listed as "Case XX Family Tree Series", but they are not Case knives at all, but the result of some past fanagling by Jim Parker. enough to confuse a new comer to knife collecting !

Back