Case at Walmart ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
Not deal spotting to a non supporting dealer or anything so I won't mention the price ( pretty sure it's a standard price anyways ) but for the first time ever I saw a case knife for sale at Walmart today.
It was a classic CV yellow delrin trapper in a clambshell packaging.

Has anyone else ever seen anything like this at Walmart before ?
What case model or models did they have ?

Not deal spotting to a non supporting dealer or anything so I won't mention the price ( pretty sure it's a standard price anyways ) but for the first time ever I saw a case knife for sale at Walmart today.
It was a classic CV yellow delrin trapper in a clambshell packaging.

Has anyone else ever seen anything like this at Walmart before ?
What case model or models did they have ?
First I’ve heard of it but nice to know there is a place to go buy a quick quality gift if needed. Thanks for the heads up.

I'll keep a look out next I'm there. I've never seen a Case and will probably buy one even if I don't need that pattern. There's something about seeing a knife in an unexpected location that makes me have to buy it.

I'm within 16 miles of two Walmarts (isn't everyone?) The smaller crappier store has had a wood/glass display for several months with some yellow delrin, antique amber, and I think a black sodbuster jr. All priced reasonably.

The bigger, nicer store has the aforementioned clam-pack yellow delrin, but nothing else.

These all are legit, but if I'm getting a Case with any of these handles, I'm going to a local ma & pa sporting goods store who has them at a similar price.

Ours carries some Buck and occasionally Schrade products but never seen a Case there. Tractor Supply and CO-OP have em tho.

Matt

Lowes used to and I just missed when they cleared them out of the one near me so I was wondering if another big box would give it a shot.

It would be nice to be able to get USA made knives as a mass market retailer again.

Given WM’s policy of squeezing lower prices out of manufacturers, I hope this doesn’t push Case into making knives in China.
I’ll have check the WMs around here.
They’ll be right next to the Bear Gryls “tactical” knives.

Given WM’s policy of squeezing lower prices out of manufacturers, I hope this doesn’t push Case into making knives in China.
I’ll have check the WMs around here.
They’ll be right next to the Bear Gryls “tactical” knives.

They couldn't do this with case,case has been around and we'll known long enough that if they were going to have Chinese knives contracted with the case name they would've done it by now.

One of my Case peanuts came from Lowe’s, in blue jigged bone and Tru-Sharp, packed in a clamshell. It was on close out and quite a bit cheaper than I had seen them anywhere else, but still not as cheap as a Rough Rider.

The dye job on this one was spotty and inconsistent, something not readily discernible in the clam pack, so it’s a good thing it was cheap.

As a traditional knife enthusiast, you gotta love seeing additional availability of knives made by a company that continues the tradition of cutlery manufacturing in the USA.

It will be interesting to see how the US made products do at Wally World. A recent AP poll showed the majority of Americans don't care about country of origin. Disappointing but maybe they care about quality. As a collector of traditional knives, of course I hope they are successful. Schrade USA couldn't compete at Wally World and now their name is used on knives that put them out of business... and now the imports retail for about the same prices as the old USA made knives.

One of my Case peanuts came from Lowe’s, in blue jigged bone and Tru-Sharp, packed in a clamshell. It was on close out and quite a bit cheaper than I had seen them anywhere else, but still not as cheap as a Rough Rider.

The dye job on this one was spotty and inconsistent, something not readily discernible in the clam pack, so it’s a good thing it was cheap.

The color of the knife wasn't visible? The clam packs that I've seen at Lowes were clear. Haven't been there in a while though. Some of the differences in color is due to manufacturing but some variation in color occurs in natural bone. Some like it. In particular, camel bone is prized for the inconsistent way it takes up dye. I have 100 year old knives that have completely different colors on the mark and pile sides even though they are cattle bone.

I can understand how the streaks in the yellow synthetic from Rough Rider is undesirable. It's supposed to be a homogeneous yellow. Also, the material feels cheap. And low dollar manufacturing in China has been known to dispose of waste products in plastics and other materials. But at $8, you can't really expect quality materials.

Last edited:
I bought a Case trapper there about 3 years ago. I was there to buy a Mossberg .22 plinkster. I eventually left with a rifle a knife and a cheap machete. The lady told me she was debating NOT allowing me to buy the gun because she was worried....

As a traditional knife enthusiast, you gotta love seeing additional availability of knives made by a company that continues the tradition of cutlery manufacturing in the USA.

It will be interesting to see how the US made products do at Wally World. A recent AP poll showed the majority of Americans don't care about country of origin. Disappointing but maybe they care about quality. As a collector of traditional knives, of course I hope they are successful. Schrade USA couldn't compete at Wally World and now their name is used on knives that put them out of business... and now the imports retail for about the same prices as the old USA made knives.

The color of the knife wasn't visible? The clam packs that I've seen at Lowes were clear. Haven't been there in a while though. Some of the differences in color is due to manufacturing but some variation in color occurs in natural bone. Some like it. In particular, camel bone is prized for the inconsistent way it takes up dye. I have 100 year old knives that have completely different colors on the mark and pile sides even though they are cattle bone.

I can understand how the streaks in the yellow synthetic from Rough Rider is undesirable. It's supposed to be a homogeneous yellow. Also, the material feels cheap. And low dollar manufacturing in China has been known to dispose of waste products in plastics and other materials. But at $8, you can't really expect quality materials.

The dye was completely missing for good portions of the edges of the scales, which were inset in the packaging and not visible until the knife came out of the package.

My Walmart has some case yeller trappers in stainless on a corner display. They were in clam shell packages. They look like they are being displayed to attract non knife nuts. Hope it works out. I love case knives and they are cranking out some good stuff as of late. I hope they succeed and continue on for another 100 + years.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm thinking it's just for the holiday season. Kind of a "Don't know what to get Dad/Grandpa?" gift. My local WM usually does Remington Gift Tins this time of year, and I'm wondering if they're trying something different.

Hey guys, I just realized it was probably stainless.
For some reason I thought yellow delrin always meant CV blades but I guess I was wrong.

Btw they were in the case and not on a giant cardboard shelf with the gift tin stuff.
Could be a holiday thing though, I sure hope not however because I absolutely hate when anything Christmas related appears in November. Thanks giving hasn't happened yet, why Christmas now ? ( Sorry for the little rant, couldn't help it :D )

If you search the website for Case knives and limit the search to free pickup, you can see several knives. I just took a quick look and saw a few with SS or CV steel. You can also limit your search to a specific store. My local store doesn't have any but I can order for pickup. Don't want to turn this into a Walmart shopping tutorial hahah but it looks like it's more than just a holiday thing. Maybe this will introduce more folks to traditional knives.

At least around here (East Texas), there's been Case knives at WALMART for a while now. Usually it is the basic yellow clamshell trapper, but occasionally I've seen clearanced knives sold with no box, such as the orange Delrin shotgun shell trapper or little canoes. Given that those were single knives, I assume they were returns!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back