Case Backpocket

Nice pointy tip on that knife. :thumbsup:

The point is as sharp as it could be I'm pretty sure, the blade came very sharp as well. The 154CM blade is as well done as any of the Bose Collaboration knives I have. They obviously took some extra time making this knife. I'm impressed.

Congrats on your new Back Pocket, Gary! It definitely fills the hand! I find it very comfortable to use.

It's a big knife for sure. I'm going to put it to use soon.

Yep, got mine today.

I really like it, definitely a bargain at the price. Mine does have a crack in the handle that I might contact Case about and see if it should be stable or needs repair.

vxKHdDY.jpg

My tracking number was at the bottom of my receipt email. I never got a separate shipping notice.

Awesome shadow! I have a Jeffery Mitchell shadow on order. It's 4.25" so right between the two, and your picture is really helpful.
Nice review. I totally agree with your report. Yeah, I love the Lloyd shadow, it's rarely out of my pocket. I look forward to seeing what you have on order.

I just realized the knife you are talking about has 154CM steel. That's a pretty good score. Mine is just the standard Case CV.

Peregrin Peregrin

Gary, I imagine that Case has to wire cut the 154CM blade. Nice looking knife, I have an ebony version (I think my son has absconded with it). Carries better than a person thinks for such a large pattern.

Gary, I imagine that Case has to wire cut the 154CM blade. Nice looking knife, I have an ebony version (I think my son has absconded with it). Carries better than a person thinks for such a large pattern.
I imagine they did have it wire cut, Jerry. It is bigger then I usually carry, but I'm going to give it try. I hope your son enjoys yours!

Well, I received mine yesterday. All in all it is as has been described here. :thumbsup: However, I'm disappointed in the lack of snap. I can easily pinch it open. Also, there is about a 1/8" fore and aft play with the blade at half stop. Is this normal?

Last edited:
Well, I received mine yesterday. All in all it is as has been described here. :thumbsup: However, I'm disappointed in the lack of snap. I can easily pinch it open. Also, there is about a 1/4" fore and aft play with the blade at half stop. Is this normal?
Mine is barely pinchable and I still have pretty strong fingers for an old guy. Plenty of snap here and just a hint of rocking at the half stop (normally I wouldn't even check this). I'm curious to hear other's thoughts.

mine has the half stop "slop" :shrug: but absolutely no play when open.. average snap and is centered.
had a burr on the edge, but it came off easy enough and is very sharp now.
it's a lot thinner and flatter than I expected, but overall I'm happy with it. good value IMO

Well, I received mine yesterday. All in all it is as has been described here. :thumbsup: However, I'm disappointed in the lack of snap. I can easily pinch it open. Also, there is about a 1/4" fore and aft play with the blade at half stop. Is this normal?

Mine is barely pinchable and I still have pretty strong fingers for an old guy. Plenty of snap here and just a hint of rocking at the half stop (normally I wouldn't even check this). I'm curious to hear other's thoughts.

Mine didn't seem to be pinchable. I didn't try that hard because it was really nice to open just with the nail nick. Mine didn't have rock at the half stop, but I didn't check for it in earnest/thoroughly. Mine had good snap.

I sent it in to have the crack looked at. Mine also had a very very small, sometimes imperceptible, amount of side to side blade play.

Mine has the slight rocking at half stop as well. Like Gary, it's not something I noticed previously and doesn't bother me. Good snap both ways.

As for pinchablility, I can easily pinch it open anywhere from the nick to between the swedge and plunge line. [Full Disclosure: I have no problem pinching open a GEC 71 Bull Nose which seems to place me comfortably in the minority.] On single blades such as the Back Pocket, I hold the knife in my right hand and use my left thumb and forefinger to pinch... forefinger (tip to first knuckle) parallel to the spine (pile side) and thumb perpendicular to spine (mark side). I might pull the handle a little or the blade a little or both. I don't think about it really. It's how I've always done it. Cold or wet (usually sweaty) hands may find me using the nail nick, though.

I can’t even get my fingers on anywhere to pinch except at the the back were there’s plenty to grab and still can’t come close to opening it. Strong snap on this one

I used a combo of brown and cherry red RIT dye on this Amber Bone Case Beer Trapper. I think with the darker color of the Burnt Amber Bone, you may not need the brown.

Evening Sunlight:
20180502_185225_2.jpg

Indirect sunlight:
MLvmT6A.jpg

I am doing that for sure! It should be relatively easy with the bareheadedness

Back