Case Medium Stockman?

Was hoping you fellas could tell me a little about this pattern. Does it have half stops? I've heard the sheepsfoot blade rides high and can be uncomfortable. Is this on all of them, or just some of them?
Trying to decide what my next purchase will be since the wife has offered to buy me another knife(I know, shocking, isn't it? :eek:). I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Case Peanut, Case Medium Stockman, or maybe one of Boker's Grand Canyon Barlows.
I'm still not sure about the Peanut, mostly because of size and the placement of the nail nick on the pen blade. Maybe some comparison shots with a Victorinox Classic or something would help me better gauge the size. Since I don't have a dealer locally, most things are ordered online, sight unseen.
Ofcourse, I'm still open to suggestions, feel free to steer me in other directions. :p Thanks in advance

Gautier

There are a ton of different "medium" sized stockman patterns from Case. Some have 2 springs, some have 3. CV / stainless / damascus. Bone, stag, plastic, etc. It would help if you let us know what pattern(s) you're looking at and whether you're interested in modern or vintage.

None of the Case stockman knives I've handled had half-stops. The sheepsfoot blades tend to ride a little on the high side, mostly to clear the spey enough to expose the full nail nick. It's not at all uncomfortable (to me) when using the clip blade, even if you're white-knuckling. When using the spey blade, it could be uncomfortable if you're using an iron grip. Given that the spey is not a heavy duty "utility' blade for me, it's not really an issue.

You can file down the kick on the sheepsfoot to make it ride lower, but at the expense of less nail nick exposed.

Mostly interested in the CV models, spey or pen blade isn't a big deal either way, but likely would go with the spey blade models as the bolsters look rounded rather than square on the Case website.

http://www.wrcase.com/knives/cv_knives/browseCV.php?Family='Amber Bone'&CV='1'&Item=''
http://www.wrcase.com/knives/cv_knives/browseCV2.php?Family='Yellow Handle'&CV='1'&Item='0035'
http://www.wrcase.com/knives/cv_knives/browseCV.php?Family='Red CV'&CV='1'&Item=''

Those are the models I was looking at. Didn't see any other medium stockmans so just assumed that was the model name they'd been assigned.:eek:
My concern for the sheepsfoot blade was that I do a fair amount of whittling, and worry that a high riding blade might cause hotspots after extended use.

Modern or vintage makes no difference to me really. Not too picky on handle materials either, a yellow Mini Trapper is my only Case for the time being and I'm quite pleased with it. Was debating on another yellow handle or trying some of their jigged bone. Like I said though, I'm open to suggestions, was just trying to get a little more information on these as they look like a pretty versatile pattern, and I hear good things about them. Thanks again.

Gautier

I believe the 18 pattern with the turkish clip main blade and the round bolsters is preferable to the 32 if the high riding sheepfoot is an issue for you. I think it's a little lower on the 18 due to the slender main blade.

Both great patterns. I carry the 32 more, because I like the pen blade in place of a spey.

I have the rounded bolster version in Amber Bone. Very good all rounder,no half stops it's true but the high rider sheepfoot has never bothered me or hindered pocket carry.Amber Bone is a most attractive handle in my view:thumbup:

I have the rounded bolster version in Amber Bone. Very good all rounder,no half stops it's true but the high rider sheepfoot has never bothered me or hindered pocket carry.Amber Bone is a most attractive handle in my view:thumbup:

I have to agree with Willgoy, I picked up an Amber bone one around fathers day. I will probably file the kick down on the sheepsfoot later. If you decide to file yours be carefull and keep an eye on the bolster to make sure your not filing it too.

It is tempting, and I think if I do decide to take the plunge on a stockman that'll be the one. Still not quite sure though, maybe I'll sleep on it and see how I feel about it in the morning. I appreciate all the info fellas, certainly gave me some more to think about.

Gautier

I've seen the issue with the sheepfoot on the Case and Schrade stockman. I'm sure it is there with other brands as well. If anything, is takes away from the eye appeal a little. Often times it could be quite a bit lower and still give easy access to the nick. On a user, I'd prefer the tip of the blade rested below the top of the liner when closed.

Could someone who has done it explain to me what would be involved in filing down the kick? Is it simply being real careful, and taking off a little at a time right under the closing edge of the tang? A recommendation of the size and cut of a file(s) would be great. A little elaboration on being careful, in addition to "don't file off too much" would be appreciated.

I might like to try it on a beater before I modified a new 6318. I've seen a few Congress knives that really could use it.

Thanks.

thawk,

I'll PM you with a phone number. Stand by.

Thanks Blues. I went and examined some Schrades, and it is obvious what needs to be filed down. I have some great examples, and one that someone did a great job on. Getting the correct file, and knowing a few gotchas would be great.

I actually used 60 or 80 grit paper. Take a little bit off at a time right from the "point" of the kick while the knife is in a horizontal/open attitude.

Keep closing the knife to see where the nail nick lines up in relation to the spey and also check with your fingertips that the backspring and liners don't get too much out of a feeling of being smooth and flush. (The spring will lower a small amount in relation to the liners. But this is minimal and harder to see than feel.)

A Case Texas Jack would give you the size of the medium stockman and the blade layout of the peanut. It would be stronger than the stockman, but less blades. They come in amber bone w' CV available.

A Case Texas Jack would give you the size of the medium stockman and the blade layout of the peanut. It would be stronger than the stockman, but less blades. They come in amber bone w' CV available.
I just recieved one of these with the CV blades. The knife seems pretty good right now, I like configuration and the size seems to be a nice compromise between the Large stockman that I liked and the peanut that sometimes felt too small. That said I may go back to the peanut as it prints less in my pocket.

You mentioned a Barlow as a possible, Böker made Russell Barlows are extremely well-made,carbon with clip or spear blades,half stop,bone or stag scales.Check them too.

Yeah, I had considered those since they'd give the same blades as a peanut, be large enough that I wouldn't worry about grip, half stops, and the nail nicks are on the right side. Guess that's one of the joys of knife addiction, there are so many patterns available...Sometimes it seems like that's the agony of it too :p

Gautier

Mostly interested in the CV models, spey or pen blade isn't a big deal either way, but likely would go with the spey blade models as the bolsters look rounded rather than square on the Case website.

http://www.wrcase.com/knives/cv_knives/browseCV.php?Family='Amber Bone'&CV='1'&Item=''
http://www.wrcase.com/knives/cv_knives/browseCV2.php?Family='Yellow Handle'&CV='1'&Item='0035'
http://www.wrcase.com/knives/cv_knives/browseCV.php?Family='Red CV'&CV='1'&Item=''

Those are the models I was looking at. Didn't see any other medium stockmans so just assumed that was the model name they'd been assigned.:eek:
My concern for the sheepsfoot blade was that I do a fair amount of whittling, and worry that a high riding blade might cause hotspots after extended use.

Modern or vintage makes no difference to me really. Not too picky on handle materials either, a yellow Mini Trapper is my only Case for the time being and I'm quite pleased with it. Was debating on another yellow handle or trying some of their jigged bone. Like I said though, I'm open to suggestions, was just trying to get a little more information on these as they look like a pretty versatile pattern, and I hear good things about them. Thanks again.

Gautier

I have 4 or 5 case med stockmans, I've been carving a great deal with one lately, I did file the kick down some, still easy to get to the nail nick and was no work at all really, as it is now I've had no problem with blisters etc. Great knives imo.

I actually used 60 or 80 grit paper. Take a little bit off at a time right from the "point" of the kick while the knife is in a horizontal/open attitude.

Keep closing the knife to see where the nail nick lines up in relation to the spey and also check with your fingertips that the backspring and liners don't get too much out of a feeling of being smooth and flush. (The spring will lower a small amount in relation to the liners. But this is minimal and harder to see than feel.)

Very well said - I've 'experimented' with Rough Rider knives, and learned pretty quickly not to take too much material off the kick, or the backsprings will show it. I also used a dowel with coarse emery cloth to scallop the liner/scale for the Spey blade nail nick. It does provide better access, but looked rough; I still need to practice on that. The only difference is I'd wrap the blade with thin tape, if it's a Case knife, and I start with a file, then go to emery cloth.

thx - cpr

Back