Case Sodbuster Steel?

batosai117

Gold Member
I'm new to this area of bladeforums, and I was wondering what the blade steel was of a Case Sodbuster?

I don't fall for that "high carbon stainless" speech, so does anybody know what exactly it is (ex. 440A, 440C...) or at least comparable to?

Thanks in advance, J.

case soddi is avail in surgical stainless (very similar to Bucks 420) but the real neauty of it is that it is also avail in CV or chromium vandium WHich is an awesome carbon steel that discolors rather easily and takes such a wicked edge that I heard god himself used a blade of the same stell to carve out the grand canyon....well maybe not..but cv rocks..

case soddi is avail in surgical stainless (very similar to Bucks 420) but the real neauty of it is that it is also avail in CV or chromium vandium WHich is an awesome carbon steel that discolors rather easily and takes such a wicked edge that I heard god himself used a blade of the same stell to carve out the grand canyon....well maybe not..but cv rocks..

Thanks, the paperwork with it says CV, the chromium vanadium, so that will work for me. I guess that's why a lot of guys that I know with a sodbuster have an almost black blade. Will a well oiled blade stay shiny longer, or is it just inevitable with this kind of steel?

I'm much more familiar with the regular stainless and premium steels such as: 420, 420HC, 440A,b,c/AUS 6,8,10, ats 34/154cm, vg 10, s30v, s90v, etc..

This is my first case knife, and I want to keep it in top condition. It's a great buy for a beater knife, I already customized mine with a clip and a thumb stud. I'll post pics later, but that may have to be posted in the maintenance,tinkering and embelishing area. If I do post pics I'll put a link to show you guys my customized sodbuster.

Thanks, the paperwork with it says CV, the chromium vanadium, so that will work for me. I guess that's why a lot of guys that I know with a sodbuster have an almost black blade. Will a well oiled blade stay shiny longer, or is it just inevitable with this kind of steel? ... This is my first case knife, and I want to keep it in top condition.

Yeah, I guess a well oiled carbon blade will stay shiny longer. But remember, with carbon steel comes a slightly different mindset. A carbon steel knife can indeed be in top condition and still have an almost black blade. It's called a patina and carbon steel knives get that color with use.

B117---Richard, at Case, told me to stick the carbon blade in a potato and leave it there overnight. That dark color will fight off rust better, but you should still keep the blade wiped down and lightly oiled.

My soddie has been used since I bought it in 78 and yes the blade is still bright and shiny. When I get in for the night there are several things I do automatically which includes taking care of my carry guns and knives. All get a quick wipe down with Rem Oil on a rag before being put up for the night, doesn't matter what metal they are made of. I know many feel a patina is desirable but my carbon steel knives have never developed one, probably because of the care I take with them. As for intentionally inducing a patina with a spud, mustard, vinegar, or other artificial means...that almost seems like fraud, if you want a patina then let it evolve naturally and don't force it.

Last edited:
PATINA FRAUD! We must stop the madness. Call you Congressman. Think of the Children.

This is my first case knife, and I want to keep it in top condition. It's a great buy for a beater knife, I already customized mine with a clip and a thumb stud. I'll post pics later, but that may have to be posted in the maintenance,tinkering and embelishing area. If I do post pics I'll put a link to show you guys my customized sodbuster.

I'm somewhat familiar with south Texas climate as I spent two duty tours at Ft. Sam Houston in San Antonio. I highly recomend you let the blade darken into a good medium grey or blue patina, for the protection it will give the blade in south Texas humid heat. Just take out a dry bandana once or twice a day to wipe off the blade, and then just leave it. It's not going to rust away on you, but with carbon steel comes a little different outlook as friend mnblade stated.

It's going to be a futile exercise to keep the blade shiney by modern stainless standards in south Texas. Plus, the patina will afford protection to the steel very similar to the protection bluing protects a firearm. It puts a thin layer of oxidation between the steel and atmosphere. In addition to protection, a patina provides something else very important in a traditional knife- charater!:D

Look at alot of antique knives, and you will see alot of grey blades. I'm sure many generations of hard working Texans have carried carbon steel knives and tools without any more than an occasional wipe down.

Welcome to traditional knives, batosai.:thumbup:

Yeah, I heard that too, but rumor has it he had to sharpen the blade afterwards!:D

Thanks everybody:):thumbup:. I've heard the word "patina" before, but I had no idea what people were talking about. I'm glad you guys cleared that up for me. Just like the word "patina," I have heard it paired up with the potatoe trick, but I think I'll keep it natural for now. I know better than to take my knives fishing with the exception of my H-1 steel spyderco pacific salt (unrustable).

I do agree that a patina gives character and history to a knife.

Thanks again everybody, I look forward to putting my sodbuster to some real use. Any new or added info would be appreciated.

why hasn't blues spoken up on this? after all, soddies are his favorite...

I've lost track of what question is currently on the table. ;)
(Sodbusters are certainly amongst my favorites. It's too hard to nail that particular honor down.)

B117---I like it! Who did the work? I might have STR put a clip on my Case Sod. :)

Back