Case Stockman sheepsfoot sits high

I have a cheapo set of small diamond files. Probably came from harbor freight or Amazon but they work just fine for little projects like this.

The one in my pocket right now is a #18 and a bit high. It's from 2022. I actually kinda like it though because Ita very punchable and the sheepsfoot is the one I use the most.

A decade later, that high-riding Case sheepsfoot is STILL a pet peeve of mine! :thumbsdown::eek:
So I certainly appreciated seeing this discussion again. 🤓
(But I like watching old movies, too. ;))

- GT
I have read (years ago and can't find it again) that, being a working man's knife, the sheepsfoot on a stockman is designed to ride high like that so it can be pinched open when wearing gloves. The usual disclaimer ("I read it on the Internet so it must be true") applies. :cool:

Think a lot has to do with the width of the Sheepfoot blade and depth of the well on any particular patten, 18 is quite a narrow frame.

I like my stockman's sheep high up on the hill, like they were designed.
You hoof filers are ruining what might have been my next good stockman (assuming you may later want to sell it).
You can just keep your custom ruined knives ! 🤬🤬;)🤣

Case 6318HP V2.jpg

🤣🤣🤣

It doesnt bother me really. I just dont think its worth the effort to modify them, if I wanted something without the sheepsfoot I would get a different pattern altogether.

I have a couple of 18s with the tips of the sheepfoot blades exposed very slightly if you open the other two blades. I never use more than one blade at a time so it is completely harmless. I don't file the kicks.

The sheepsfoot on my newest 18 sits a little high, but not enough to bother me. I did file the kick down a little bit on one of my other 18s, but it's still pinchable.
Mine is the same knife as yours. My blade sits substantially higher than yours

Mine is the same knife as yours. My blade sits substantially higher than yours
It really doesn't hurt anything, but if it sits high enough that it makes it uncomfortable to use the knife, go ahead & file the kick down a bit. Be careful, though. It doesn't take much.

What you want is a "sharpening stone", but one like machinists, or other guys who do precise metal work (gunsmiths, tool & die makers, etc.), use. Medium grit, about half an inch square, and 4"-6" long. Try Graingers, they should have them. If not you can order from Brownells.

Back