Case Trapper with pocket clip

Hey,

Does anyone have the Case Trapper with pocket clip?

How do you like it?

Thanks,

Geoff

I've got one of the trapperlock's with the clip. I love it. It keeps the knife upright and accessible. I have thought about trying the regular trapper with clip, but havent got around to it.

Sorry, pocket clips belong in General, it's in the Guidelines.

Was camping with my son and mom this past weekend. A guy and hit girlfriend that were bike camping, set up camp next to us. Did their camp kitchen work with a hobo knife and a Case trapperlock with a pocket clip. The smooth orange bone was very handsome.

There are no pocket clips used back in the day? Just wondering

There was a Knife World article a while back, maybe in the Bernard Levine Whatizzit section. They showed a knife with a pocket clip from the 20-40s time range. It was meant to clip into your shirt pocket like a pen.

The Traditional Subforum used to say if your Grandpa would have carried it, then it was traditional. Since Spyderco's first knife with a clip and one hand-opening was about 1980, thus knives with clips and one-hand opening pass the Grandpa test for many people :)

There was a Knife World article a while back, maybe in the Bernard Levine Whatizzit section. They showed a knife with a pocket clip from the 20-40s time range. It was meant to clip into your shirt pocket like a pen.

The Traditional Subforum used to say if your Grandpa would have carried it, then it was traditional. Since Spyderco's first knife with a clip and one hand-opening was about 1980, thus knives with clips and one-hand opening pass the Grandpa test for many people :)
Guess I'm getting old. :)

It reminds me of "oldies" music. If you turn on "oldies" stations now, they play 70s and 80s music instead of 50s and 60s..I was horrified!

I feel, however, that the term "traditional" points more to non clip usage, as those who first started carrying pocket knives did, even if their were outliers of the time.

Part of what I like about the traditional trapper knives is that they are very comfortable to hold and use. Pocket clips detract from that.

Part of what I like about modern knives is that the pocket clip keeps the knife up and out of the way of whatever else is in my pocket and is, in my opinion, more convenient than backpocket carry (next to my wallet).

All that being said, I wouldn't mind a trapper pattern with a little keyclip or whatever they are called attached to a fob/tassle/lanyard hole on the knife.

It reminds me of "oldies" music. If you turn on "oldies" stations now, they play 70s and 80s music instead of 50s and 60s..I was horrified!

I feel, however, that the term "traditional" points more to non clip usage, as those who first started carrying pocket knives did, even if their were outliers of the time.
Pocket knives probably go back at least two millennia, and the traditional slipjoint goes back over 300 years, at least. They were generally dropped in a pocket. The modern knives with pocket clips, thumb studs (or similar devices), and "super steels" came out, or became popular, when I was an adult. I could never consider them traditional. That being said, I am glad there are so many different kinds of knives. I believe in "knife rights", and am glad most of us can carry them.

Part of what I like about the traditional trapper knives is that they are very comfortable to hold and use. Pocket clips detract from that.

Part of what I like about modern knives is that the pocket clip keeps the knife up and out of the way of whatever else is in my pocket and is, in my opinion, more convenient than backpocket carry (next to my wallet).

All that being said, I wouldn't mind a trapper pattern with a little keyclip or whatever they are called attached to a fob/tassle/lanyard hole on the knife.
I think the trapper is about the most comfortable knife to use and hold. The ergonomics are great. It's a beautiful pattern. The clip makes it uncomfortable to hold, and is ugly! To me, anyway. I am very comfortable dropping it in my left front pocket, or in a leather belt sheath on my right side. Either way, it is very easy to get to. That's just my preference. I would encourage anyone to carry what he wants. I am glad there are so many choices.

I am very comfortable dropping it in my left front pocket, or in a leather belt sheath on my right side.
My biggest problem with carrying a trapper (I'm talking full size trapper, as is my preference) loose in my pocket is that being a somewhat large knife, it's uncomfortable when it goes horizontal. I've seen people sew a small vertical pocket in their pants and that's not a bad idea. I often carry a trapper in my back pocket next to my wallet, and that works reasonably well until you have to get to your wallet. I'll use a belt sheath if I'm out hunting, but don't particularly care for them in day to day life.

Ultimately however yes, I'm glad we have so many choices. While there are certainly modern design elements I don't care for, no one is forcing them on us. Likewise I might in good jest poke fun at someone who has taken the time to drill and tap holes for a pocket clip in their trapper, but there would certainly be no malicious intent in doing such.

I like the idea of those pocket organizers, I will get one soon. You can slip th eknife in an out of it quite easily clip or no clip

I like Trappers, probably my favorite pattern. I appreciate pocket clips. Why not combine the two. I see no reason not to for a working knife or one that is intended to be a user. Problem for me is I didn’t want to buy a whole new knife just to get a clip. Contacted Case to see if they would put a clip on my existing Trapper. No dice :(

In the past i would wad up a bandanna in my pocket and slip my trapper in my pocket beside it. It would stay up right all day long.

Back