Case Whiskey Bone, anyone re-dye theirs?

Heirphoto

Gold Member
Got a Case Whiskey Bone Tribal Lock knife but am not liking the "creamsicle" coloring. Really orange with a lot of white at the bolsters. I can live with the whiteish ends if the rest were not orange.

Has anyone tried dying theirs to darken it up and if so what did you use? I am thinking either a brown or deep reddish color over the orange might work with the coloring it already has rather than try to go in a completely different direction (green or blue). With the orange base maybe brown would give it a more chestnut color.

Coffee or tea? Rit fabric or the synthetic dye? If Rit, powder or liquid.

Being it is a CV knife I probably need to paint the dye on several times rather than soak it.

Thoughts? Photo examples of what you have done?

I recommend RIT liquid... Brown or Dark Brown

I think you'll find this thread helpful...

Dyeing Bone: A Tutorial

Before
zobejuC.jpg

After
MX4F0be.jpg

Wow, that really came out nicely. After posting I realized that people have been dying GEC knives for years and most are 1095 and have not had ill effects so my CV should be no different.

I will read through that thread and probably give it a go. The orange is growing on me a little. Most of my dislike it that it is so different than anything I have owned but maybe I need to broaden my horizons. Just because it does not look like a vintage color to me does not mean it does not look attractive.

Thanks for your help and the link. I missed that thread when I searched earlier from my phone.

If my Whiskey Bone was as brown as the "before" GEC I would be happy. I do like both versions of that as well though

Wow, that really came out nicely. After posting I realized that people have been dying GEC knives for years and most are 1095 and have not had ill effects so my CV should be no different.

I will read through that thread and probably give it a go. The orange is growing on me a little. Most of my dislike it that it is so different than anything I have owned but maybe I need to broaden my horizons. Just because it does not look like a vintage color to me does not mean it does not look attractive.

Thanks for your help and the link. I missed that thread when I searched earlier from my phone.

I've got a Whiskey bone, cv peanut. I find it quite attractive. But then that's why things come in different colors. I also have a mini Copperlock cv in "dark red". I was expecting a merlot or burgundy. When I opened the box and saw bright scarlet I recoiled in shock and consternation :eek: I didn't think it looked anything like the pictures. Didn't like it all :thumbsdown:
Now that I've carried it some its either:
A. darkened a little with dirt and body oils; or
B. Grown on me; or
C. A little of both.
In any event it no longer offends me and I actually like it. Matches my SAKs :)

Have fun if you dye it, but maybe don't get in a hurry and see if it continues to grow on you.

Yeah, holding off a bit. It is very nice looking, just need to decide if it is my kind of nice. I think I need to just get in my pocket and used some and see how it goes

I have a Yukon Jack with some real orangey bone. Almost didn't buy it, almost regretted it, but the color grew on me and I bought a Wilfred Works Hunter in the same bone.

Being it is a CV knife I probably need to paint the dye on several times rather than soak it.
I have dyed a couple of Case Dark Red CV knives to darken them up a little, using the RIT Dye stovetop method. Even treating the blades in advance with Eezox, they developed some small pits. I won't try to dye a Case CV knife again using that method. Works fine for their Tru-sharp stainless, though.

If you do want to dye a CV knife, I suggest a method that keeps the blades out of the dye as much as possible. Either suspend the knife vertically, blades fully open and pointing upwards, only up to the bolster. Or open perpendicular, with the blade again suspended upwards out of the dye. The tang would get immersed but you don't really notice pitting on the tang that much.

I dyed my Case 'dark' red bone CV mini trapper with a black tea and coffee bath. No pitting and while the difference isn't extreme, it darkened enough to make a big improvement in my eyes.
I dyed my mini trapper with coffee and black tea. On the pictures below you can see that is was lighter than the medium stockman before the dye and afterwards it's considerably darker.

Before:
470efec837ec826fc0032a4fd64073c7.jpg

3892ea32d389f7b6bae3b6b0f1df467d.jpg

After:
0f0d6644ea490cea29df98a6d4783407.jpg

ed85750a9d2f22d87fc5ed081e96e808.jpg

a6ed55f9490ea7829a551d452eff1b98.jpg

7688426a93818e9581a20a18bf23734e.jpg

b14dabd069bd35b9f8b400c79ea9426a.jpg

I have experienced pitting on GEC stainless and carbon knives.

I have found that this pitting can be reduced by using liquid RIT dye and minimising exposure to the dye.

Ordinary painter’s masking tape is surprisingly effective too. A thin piece is laid along the backsprings and on the bolsters.

Bottom line is you have to be prepared for the knife to be a user!

I'm happy with the color of mine, but I've debated for three days whether to force a patina. Finally decided to do it today and it looks very good with the whiskey bone, and the gray blade matches the shield.

Well, I went ahead and did the deed today. Dark brown Rit liquid dye, dash of vinegar and dishwashing soap in a stainless steel cut. Added super hot water from the microwave. I dyed my Tribal Lock along with a used large Stockman with amber bone scales. Tribal came out a beauty and now looks like Chestnut Bone which has been a favorite.. The Stockman was very dark at first but I buffed it a bit with Flitz to give it a more pocket worn look to go with the scuffed blades but went a little further than I wanted. Looks nicer in real life than the pics but might darken it up just a bit more tomorrow (sky reflection is making it a tad purple at the ends). Very happy with both though as they are

The first pic is the whiskey bone right out of the box but in real life it was a way brighter orange. Had it actually looked darker like this photo I would have left it alone.

IMG_0349.JPG View attachment 1135136 View attachment 1135138 View attachment 1135139

Yes, much better. Think I'll send you mine as the tea dye didn't darken it so much;) I found wrapping the blade with tape kept the pitting at bay.

Well, I went ahead and did the deed today. Dark brown Rit liquid dye, dash of vinegar and dishwashing soap in a stainless steel cut. Added super hot water from the microwave. I dyed my Tribal Lock along with a used large Stockman with amber bone scales. Tribal came out a beauty and now looks like Chestnut Bone which has been a favorite.. The Stockman was very dark at first but I buffed it a bit with Flitz to give it a more pocket worn look to go with the scuffed blades but went a little further than I wanted. Looks nicer in real life than the pics but might darken it up just a bit more tomorrow (sky reflection is making it a tad purple at the ends). Very happy with both though as they are

The first pic is the whiskey bone right out of the box but in real life it was a way brighter orange. Had it actually looked darker like this photo I would have left it alone.

View attachment 1135135 View attachment 1135136 View attachment 1135138 View attachment 1135139

Very nice!

Back