Case XX Family Tree series

rprocter

BANNED
i see knives on ebay listed as "Case XX Family Tree" and with tang stamped as "Phoenix Knife CO.", or "Miller Bros." also "Germany" is etched on one of the blades. these are 4 1/2 in. whittlers. i have searched here and at the Case website, but find no reference to them. are they Case knives ? can someone explain what this series is about, who makes them and where, and app. age ? thanks, my education continues, roland

The series of knives you or talking about were made by Jim Parker. Before he sold the names back to Case. He also had knives made in the US by Queen and Stamped Crandall , Standard Knife Company , C Platts and Son's and Kinfolks. Larry

Larry, thanks for the info. so, Jim parker had Case make these knives. do you know what year ? and was the quality/materials standard Case or to other (higher ?) standards. are they sought after collectables, or just another knive ? thanks, roland

Larry, thanks for the info. so, Jim parker had Case make these knives. do you know what year ? and was the quality/materials standard Case or to other (higher ?) standards. are they sought after collectables, or just another knive ? thanks, roland

Case had nothing to do with these knives. Parker owned the names and had Queen and Olbertz make them. I wouldn't rate them as highly collectible but at some point they could be the Queen knives especially. Larry

Larry, sorry to bother you again, but how can these knives be labelled as "Case XX" if Case had nothing to do with them ? since mine has "Germany" etch (not stamp), i presume it was not made by Queen. i'm fairly new to all this, but it seems confusing with many knives to know their history: like made where and by whom. roland

Welcome to the world of Jim Parkers fantasy knives. From what I have read and understand. Jim Parker owned Case for a short time . When he lost Case in Bankruptcy he kept the Family Tree brand names and the use of the tang stamps which became the Case Classic's knives. This allowed him to use Case XX , Case Tested and various other Case tang stamps. I attached a picture of a Case Tested Case Classic Queen made Wharncliff Whittler. Larry

DSCN0011.jpg

Well, thanks for all that. there's no way i could have figured all that out on my own. i bought one of these; a 4 1/2 in. whittler in stag with "Phoenix Knife Co. Phoenix, N.Y." on tang, but Germany etch on blade. so probably of similar quality to Bulldog or H & R. i don't have it yet, but my education continues. roland

If your Phoenix is as nice as mine you will be very happy. Larry

dscn17711un6.jpg

dscn17701jk6.jpg

Don't sell those Case Classics short. Quality is pretty good, better than the real Case knives that were being produced at the time. Some are indeed collectables, some patterns are commanding high prices now. Check out this auction for a really rare one- the seller is Jim Parkers son.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150102852990&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=005

Heres another Abalone handled knife, this one a 6340 pattern 4 3/8" stockamn, 1 of 3 made

_IGP1466.jpg

and a couple large whittlers

_IGP1832.jpg

I have one of those German made cigar whittlers also, marked Wade and Butcher. Quality is so-so on these, not as good as the Gen 1,2 and 3 Bulldogs that were being sold at the time, certainly not up to par with H&R folders.

I agree the Case Classics or very collectible. But the Family Tree knives based on the auction prices aren't there yet.
The fit and finsh on my Phoenix is almost perfect. Actually it's better than my Queens and Case Classic's. It's funny how Companys can get everything right on one knife and not others. Larry

it's amazing how one can get such accurate and specific information through these forums and the vast collective knowledge of the members. Larry, i very much appreciate your help and the pic. you posted looks the same as the knife i have coming ($75.55 from ebay). as i bought this in total ignorance of it's origin, it's great to know that some at least of this "family tree series" are well made, attractive knives. mine will be here in a couple of weeks or so (Canada Customs delay is usual). i'll post a pic. if it's really "sweet". thanks again and to Arathol too. roland

Maybe of interest, here is one of the Family Tree knives...a Kinfolks medium stockman.....

67zhtsn.jpg

6gxm4ab.jpg

The nicely done knife is marked ONLY with the Kinfolks script ( you might be able to make it out in the second picture...sorry :eek: ), on each blade...no pattern number or country of origin. A bit curious.

Bill

Back