Casio vs Timex

Right now I'm searching for a new field watch and I've narrowed it down to Casio or Timex. I would appreciate everyones feedback on the two. Which model do you use and what features do you like or dislike about it?
Thanks, Allen.

I'm not going to get into the why and all that, but get yourself a Casio G-Shock. Those will take ALOT of abuse, and run forever with pretty darn good accuracy.

------------------
Dann Fassnacht
Aberdeen, WA
glockman99@hotmail.com
ICQ# 53675663

I agree with Glock. I own both Casio and Timex. The Casios take more abuse and keep better time. Go for a G Shock.

I'll second that about the G-shocks (even though they are made in China now
frown.gif
). I'm on my second one, but I still have the first that I bought around 1988 or 89. I've only replaced the batteries once in all that time. The first set lasted over 6 years, when they are supposed to have a 5 year lifespan. The only reason I stopped wearing that old one is that all the rubber "armor" started to crack and peel off of it. I used to work on a farm run by a university agro dept. I lost that watch in a wheat field and spent a couple of hours looking for it. No luck. After we harvested a friend and coworker handed me my watch back. I'm guessing the combine didn't run over it because the only thing wrong with it was a couple of small mouse bites in the band. They are big, ugly, and a little on the hot side (that's why I lost it, because I took it off and buckled it through my belt loop) but they have a good bang/buck ratio.

My only other complaint is that I have never been able to find Casio replacement bands, and the other brands don't fit the watch quite as well.

Just my $.02....
Paul

I'd recommend you opt for a Casio.

I've had two G-shocks, but see if you can find one with a completely stainless steel case. The first one I had (one of the originals, I think, found on the ocean floor still running -- battery lasted another 5 years) had a case that was surrounded by that black rubber/resin material. Just like the watch bands, the material eventually became brittle and cracked. Once it did that, it fell off. The watch still worked but since all the buttons (including the set button) were all prominently exposed, everytime I brushed up against something or reached into my pocket, the watch reset or the stopwatch started or the timer started.

The G-shock I have now (also an older model) has a completely stainless steel case, with the exception of a thin rubber/resin ring on the face for armor. The ring has long since cracked and fallen off, but I continue to abuse the watch with no problems.

You can find replacement bands at most Wal-Marts, and I should think any large department store.

I like the old Timex slogan and "takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'" ads, but my dad killed one after ten days. Just stopped working. A new battery didn't fix it. I bought a $40 analog indiglo model, and I partially killed it. Every once in a while it would stop running and I would have to fix it with a percussion adjustment (whack). It ate a new battery about every two years.

I won't buy another Timex. I wear my Casio G-shock almost every day to work and I beat the heck out of it with no problems. I know it's slightly off topic, but I bought a Swiss Army Officer's Automatic about 6 months ago for when I'm not at work, and I'm very pleased with it.

------------------
Danny
aka "kuma575"

One word; LUMINOX
biggrin.gif

------------------
Eric
"The best toys are the ones that you can put an eye out with."

Casio all the way!!! I will NEVER buy another Timex. None have EVER lasted longer than 1 year.

I blew mine out snorkeling in less than 12 feet of water, and it was rated to 50 meters. I called Timex (right after the 1 year warranty expired), and they were pretty snotty, talking about the difference between static and dynamic pressure. So it's convenient to be rated to 50 meters (static), as long as it never moves! How you get it there without moving it is still a mystery to me...

My Casio is also rated to 50 meters, and I have had it down to 80 feet scuba diving, no problem at all. These aren't even diving watches, just WalMart cheapies.

I have always been irritated at Timex for that, it's nice to finally let others know about that!

Well, it seems like Casio is the way to go, which is fine for me cause they have some really cool models.
I had no idea that Timex was so bad. I had only heard great things about Timex before.
Thanks again for the info.

Allen.

All my Timex's have disintegrated within a year or so. Avoid them.

Freestyle watches are more expensive, but very durable and have a very good warranty.

------------------
Clay Fleischer
clay_fleischer@yahoo.com
AKTI Member A000847

Just to provide another viewpoint...
smile.gif

I used to be a big fan of Casio watches. I owned several and liked them all. Then they stopped putting countdown timers on them for some reason. Since I use that feature often I had to look elsewhere for my next watch.

Since then I have worn one Timex and one Guess (which is based on Timex components). Both held up just fine and performed admirably. I think Timex has improved a lot over the last ten years.

I am still puzzled about why Casio decided to drop such an obvious feature.

--Bob Q

Bob,
I'm not sure when Casio, stopped putting countdown timers on their watches. My newer G-Shock (2-3 years old) has one. Maybe only certain models have them? I use that feature quite a bit myself. Hopefully this Casio will last 10+ years like my first one, and I won't have to worry about it for a while.
biggrin.gif

Paul

I'm with Bob Q. on this one. I remember reading an article about Paul Newman awhile back and the interviewer asked him about the watch he was wearing. He said it was a $20.00 Timex. He said it was so accurate he wins bets with it all the time. He'll go to races and the drivers will be wearing their $15-$30,000.00 "whiz bangs" and he'll bet them his Timex is more accurate than their latest "whatevers". He said he's never lost a bet.
I'm really not a Timex fan but I wear an old Timex "Atlantis 100" that we found excavating a piece of land. The thing had been underground for who knows how long and LOOKED it! I threw it in my pocket, (I don't know why), and later chanced it and got a battery for it and installed it. Started right up. It is the most accurate watch I have ever owned, PERIOD! I have a Rolex Submariner, a G-Shock, and numerous other timepieces that keep great time but they can't touch this thing. It is so accurate I set my other watches by it. A piece of junk sure, but it does what a $20,000 timepiece is supposed to do and that is to keep precise time. I'm so fond of it because it's been bashed so bad a G-Shock would be humbled and it just keeps going and going and going and the price was so right. Yeah, it took a licking and is still ticking!

I like both brands myself. I had a Timex Stealth (which I don't think they make anymore 'cause I've been looking for one for 6 months now) that lasted me 7 years before I lost the thing. I had a bunch of Casios before that. The Databank was the only one that died because I was dumb and took a shower w/o remembering that it's not waterproof.

Right now I have a fossil Klingon watch which I never wear because I'm scared I'll scratch it up, but which keeps good time and hasn't given me any problems.

I have a Timex Reef Gear watch which has a great alarm setup (Twist and Pull I believe they call it) but it came with the cheapest band I have ever seen. It was a metal, folded link band and it didn't even survive my removing the extra links with a professional tool. Other than the band though, it is the best Timex I have had.

------------------
Clay Fleischer
clay_fleischer@yahoo.com
AKTI Member A000847

Thanks again to all who gave their advice.
So what did i get?

A SEIKO!
It's a black-face V657 chronograph with 1/2 second, second, and minute sub-dials.

I thought I'd mention that my current watch is a St. Moritz Format 2 Ti. I really like the dual digital displays on the analog face. It is the most readable analog/digital I have seen so far. Also, the titanium case makes it light and nearly indestructable.

--Bob Q

No, afraid not. And I don't have a scanner either.
But I can try to describe it:
Black face, tick marks instead of numbers on the large face, large thick tick-marks at 1-2-4-5-7-8-10-11, a date window instead of the number 3, a 1/2 second subdial below the 12 tick-mark, a seconds subdial above the 6 tick-mark, a minutes subdial to the right of the 9 tick-mark, all tick-marks and the large dial hands are phosphorescent, the case and band are stainless steel, the case is slightly squared off and mirror polished on the sides, the chronograph start/stop button is above the crown, and the reset button is below the crown.
Not as good as a picture, but it's the best I can do.

Back