Cell phones and plans????

Toolin

BANNED
I am looking for my first cell phone. Something that has alot of neat things. I have a few models in mind but dont know what company I should go with for a plan. This would be an easy choice but I am going to Marine boot camp and dont want to pay $40 bucks a month for three or more months while away from the phone!!! I was looking at AT&T because I can buy min. in bundles at a time without monthy bills. Maybe a plan that it only 20 bucks a month for a few min. I wont be on the phone all the time. I live in NY, (not the city), if that helps. Thanx guys.

You may want to wait until your out of boot to get a cell phone.

There are however "Pre-Payed" cellular plans, but there usually rather bland on features and they usually stick it to you pretty hard on what the minutes are actually costing you. Honestly, you'd probably be better off with a calling card you can use from payphones until your out.

Once you find out where your going to be stationed, look into plans.

For a cell phone system that is freakin packed with options, look into Nextel. I just picked one up last week and it smokes any other cell phone I've ever had.

I've used many cell phones and plans and carriers. Yes, the amount of money you spend is important but you will soon find that service and coverage will be your main concerns.

What good are minutes in a cheap plan if your reception or converage is spotty. It will drive you nuts! Better to talk with people in your area that are satisfied with their phone service and ask what works well in your area.

As far as plans go, the main competitors are always coming out with new offerings. Just becuase you are on one plan doesn't mean you can's switch and take advantage of a better offer from the same company. You might even pick up some free minutes. Often new plans come out that you can take advantage of but they won't call you to tell you about them so keep your ears open. Also try not to get locked into a yearly contract unless you are sure you know what you want. Better to pay a little more at first to test the waters.

Good luck with your search,

S.

Pre-paid is a good option If you use it for emergency puroses only.

I use sprintpcs and am very happy with it.

i've been looking for a phone too lately and i think cingular has that thing still where you can get free weeknights and weekends... sounds like a pretty good deal to me
brandon:rolleyes:

Back