celluloid questions!

hey all, ive been noticing a few posts concerning cell handled knives and do/don't put such and such on the scales...so
1) any ideas what if any lubricant etc is safe, i mean i dont coat the scales but some does come in contact ( i use mineral oil)
2) originally read that petroleum based products were very bad, now im seeing posts and mineral oil is bad? Are they both to be avoided?
3) Anybody recommend a product they've had good experience with
Thanks in advance
all the best
ivan

i have a growing collection of old slippies that seem to have cell handles, even after i swore i'd never buy another after reading the horror stories
gee wonder what my problem is ;)

well see i learned something, things like this happen when i start typing with my head in a place with very little light:D
Thank you for setting me straight there!
have you had any experience with celluloid?
thanks again
ivan

What about something like WrenchForce Polyspray? Its PTFE in a solvent carrier (its a spray), when it dries it leaves a thin, durable layer of solid PTFE plus it penetrates very well when you apply it. I've used it on a couple knives including an older Imperial with red plastic handles and my Spyderco Native. Works good, lasts a while. Haven't used it on cell handles since all mine are SAK's and I've stopped lubing my SAK's (they see food use more often than my other knives).

I've never seen any evidence that anything can help preserve celluloid. Lots of speculation, but no evidence.

what is the feeling when one does start to gas-out just let it go or remove the scales? I'd have a hard time sitting and watching the metal corrode... at that point i suppose you have 2 choices
a) REMOVAL: let's you have a usuable rehandled knife, while not original you'll have the warm fuzzy feeling of knowing you saved an old knife
or
b) WATCH: As corrosive gases eat away at your cherished knife and surrounding knives, rendering said knife/knives into worthless piles of vintage rust and shriveled plastic...

i'm not advocating removal unless there is no other choice. Just curious what your opinions were.
Thanks
ivan

Back