Ceramic knife sharpening

Status
Not open for further replies.
the edge on mine is nice and smooth and kind of grabby. i know before i did anything the edge was like a butter knife. you could run your finger down the edge and not get cut. now it will cut you so i'm probably not too far off from shaving sharp on it. i have some diamond coated burrs about 1/16" in diameter that i might try next on the edge. i'm not sure the size of diamond they are coated with but it feels like smooth metal.

the edge on mine is nice and smooth and kind of grabby. i know before i did anything the edge was like a butter knife. you could run your finger down the edge and not get cut. now it will cut you so i'm probably not too far off from shaving sharp on it. i have some diamond coated burrs about 1/16" in diameter that i might try next on the edge. i'm not sure the size of diamond they are coated with but it feels like smooth metal.

hey richard,

i too have the boker (plus) ceramic pocket folder... i have tried everything on it that i have and can't get a good working edge on it (no where near shaving sharp). fyi the paper wheels don't work on it... not near refined enough. they DO remove the metal, but just isn't refined enough. between that and my EP i removed about 1/16th of the blade!! I also tried the diamond stones/tape that EP offers, but those don't work either. even the tape is not high enough I don't believe (although I guess it could be my technique).

I'm looking forward to getting my WEPS to try sharpening it again... In my order, I purposely stuck with all diamond down to .25 micron pasted strops so I can specifically sharpen ceramics. Hope it works.

Kom, is 1k diamond the highest you have from WEPS?

Yeah, the 1K is the highest I have, then the 5u and 3.5u strops. I suspect, also, that my technique isn't up to the job with it yet, because I believe Clay has showed off some he's done that are shaving-sharp off of it after the strops.

lol, yeah, i imagine it will take a while to get the hang of it like clay does... he makes it look so easy!!

He does! I'm actually tempted to send my Boker to him, and see what he can do with it using the materials I have on hand, so I know where the technique and hardware lines cross. I'm betting that my inability to get it shaving-sharp is much more technique than material.

I think I agree with crafty that it should be possible with a guided sharpening system like EP or WEPS
[Don;t like to nonsupporting dealers]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back