Ceramic rods

Where can i find some 5/16"x5" rods to fit the Lansky turn box? I dropped one of mine and busted it. I know I can get replacements, but im just curious if theres better offerings out there. Thanks.

Might look up Idahone. They make V-crock style sharpeners with 9" rods that are 5/16" diameter, including a very coarse 100-200 (pink/ruby) and a fine 1200-1500 (white). They also sell replacement rods for those sets. I haven't used them, but they've intrigued me somewhat at times. They also carry some smaller sets with 4.5" rods (also 5/16" diameter), including a 'medium' grey at 500-grit. I don't know if they sell replacement rods for those sets, however.

I like Idahone too and took a look at their new product, the small version similar to the Lansky turnbox.

https://www.idahoners.com/product-page/mini-v-sharpener-with-storage

I am wondering how they came up with the idea of storing the rods exposed on the exterior of the base.

It doesn’t look like there is much room to stablilize the base with your hand while honing unless you remove one pair of rods.

The Idahone sharpener bases remind me a lot of the 'CrockStick' bases (brand owned by Lansky) that I've got. I've not worried much about getting a full-handed grip on steadying it while using it. These sharpeners work best at a very light touch. I've grown to prefer not holding it too firmly, simply because it encourages use of more pressure in doing so. When I use mine, and any other similar setups, I usually place the base on a piece of rubberized shelf-liner (keeps it from sliding around too much) and put maybe one fingertip on the end of the base to minimize wobble. Beyond that, if the base moves much when I'm using it, it's a reminder to me to lighten up on the pressure I'm using.

Did you look at the specific photo of the mini version, linked above?

I like to rest the palm of my hand on the base—I have no issues with pressure or getting edges—and I’ve seen students cut themselves if they can not get their hand out of the way of the knife. It looks like a lousy (cheap) design to me. And why have the stored rods exposed?

Did you look at the specific photo of the mini version, linked above?

I like to rest the palm of my hand on the base—I have no issues with pressure or getting edges—and I’ve seen students cut themselves if they can not get their hand out of the way of the knife. It looks like a lousy (cheap) design to me. And why have the stored rods exposed?

I have a compact 'Field Sharpener' by A.G. Russell about that size lengthwise (measures 5-3/8"). It uses 4" rods (brown ceramic & diamond). I use it the same way. If there's one thing I see that concerns me, in the pic of the small Idahone setup, it's that the base's footprint looks kind of narrow (front-to-back), which might be sort of wobbly. I'd prefer something broader than that, ideally.

Another option for holding it down (I've done this too), is to use a clamp to affix it to the edge of a table or countertop. Could also glue or screw the unit's base to a larger board, for easier control.

If one has a drill press, it's pretty easy to make your own base for these as well, with the wood drilled at an angle setting of your choosing. I've done this for 3 different sets of rods I have (1/4", 5/16" and 3/8"), with the holes drilled at 25° inclusive.

Yes, that is one of my points.

Ironically, afixing the base and/or carrying a clamp defeats the easy, light, portable, field sharpening aspect —and not everyone is a DYIer. Also, I like the symetry of using both hands with the unit.

Worse though is storing the rods exposed—great way to chip or damage them or get them dirty!

Oh well.

Back