Ceramics compared to "classic" steel

Hi everybody.

While the idea of ceramic blades tickles the knife snob in me, I was wondering how does it performs - compared with a decent quality steel like VG-10 or S30V.
Maybe someone who has knives with both type of materials can jump in and share his / her experience(s).

Thanks in advance.

Aloha Knifebrother!

Sorry, I do not own any ceramics yet, but they too, have always made me "wonder". From all that I have read, ceramics will outperform in terms of edge retention the steels you mentioned, yet the only thing is if a ceramic is dropped, or flexed, it's gonna fracture.

Of course, you already knew that though.:eek:

Great to see you, take care and God bless...TJT should be here soon to assist you!:thumbup:

Hey Mr. Adventura!!! Nice to see you here.

Ceramics vs. steel, no matter which kind is easy to explain.
Ceramic will keep it's edge, and cut, a lot longer than steel. It can vary according to materials cut, but it will hold it's edge sigificantly longer.
The property that makes it hold it's edge is what is it's major weakness, though. The materials hardness means that the material has no flex.
Whereas a steel blade will flex, then bend, and then break, a ceramic will just break.
So, if kept within it's design parameters, it is a great material.
Personally, I use some ceramic at the office, but my EDC is all steel.
Take care, and thanks,
Terry

Thanks Terry and Chad. :) Always happy to meet old friends :D
I guess what I was interested to know was if ceramics could be used efficiently for a small blade (under 2"). There's this crazy folder idea that is rattling in my mind for quite some time and I think it would benefit from a ceramic blade. ;)
BTW, how do you sharpen those things?

Back