CGG Scanning Lesson (large images)

I was looking at somebodey else's scan of some William Henry knives, where there were a bunch of them lined up with their blades at "half mast," and I decided to see if I could use that pose to get by some lighting problems with Sebenzas, where the grit lines on the handle go lengthwise, and the satin finish on the hollow grind naturally goes across the blade.

Here's my first attempt, on a large and small "Solar Wind," with the scanner software set with auto contrast and color correction turned off. The image has been turned 180 degrees; the light source moved across the knife from bottom (as you see it) to top. In any of these scans, the shadows you see are toward the "top" of the unedited image.

CGG-SolarWind-LS-medium.jpg

Here is a link to a screenshot showing what I did to the brightness and contrast settings in the image editor. I think the colors came out a bit dull, with a uniform metal-grey tone.

So I changed the scanner software settings back to automatic contrast and color correction. The 300 dpi scan gives one a huge image, so I reduced it to something that would fit on a 1024x768 monitor. This results in an image that doesn't look very crisp, so I bumped up the sharpness setting. I thought brightness and contrast still needed a bit of adjustment. The image editor also lets you type in text.

Here's the result, further reduced:

CGG-SolarWind-LSa-medium.jpg

And here's a link to the "wallpaper size" image.

I thought the blades still came out a little on the dark side. The angle was a compromise for both blade and handle. So I tried turning the larger knife to have both handle and blade grit lines going across the light path. This would result in an odd-looking composition, unless scan a larger area and then rotate and crop. With the unedited image, that takes a few minutes even with a fast machine.

And here's the result after resizing and sharpening. I didn't need to do anything else with brightness and contrast this time.

CGG-SolarWind-large.jpg

I used a similar drill to get this image of the 2 High Mix pair:

CGG-2HighMix-LS.jpg

And again, with the rotate and crop technique, to get a detail shot of the Trailing Moon pattern.

CGG-TrailingMoon-blowup-medium.jpg

Finally, here's a link to a 1024x768 version. Those bright polished screw heads still give my scanner fits.
smile.gif

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

Beautiful work James, and those Halfmast Henry's wouldn't happen to have been mine?

I've always admired your scans, nice and crisp, beautiful knives btw to!

Nice Job Chris Reeve and company!

G2

------------------
"The Road to Hell is Paved with Good Intentions!"
Take the time to read your Bible Now, don't be left behind...

G2 LeatherWorks

Thanks (again) James,

GREAT work...

Michael

------------------
He who has smelt the smoke is never free again...

Back